need 16v swap walkthrough

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sk8androck4fun34
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

need 16v swap walkthrough

Post by sk8androck4fun34 »

i own a 87' with an automatic. its currently not running, i could get it running but i need new fuel injectors and probably lines, along with a few other things, but then its still just an 8v and im not getting much out of it. i want to do a swap to a 16v because it seems to be the popular swap and everyone seems to know what needs to be done to do it. What i need is someone to let me know what i need for the swap and what im going to need to do, pretty much a simple walkthrough would be great if anyone knows where to find one. i do want to keep it an automatic, unless it doesnt work with that tranny. i dont know which 16v i should get either. i found new factory ones from scirrocos and i think older jettas for good prices so im thinkin bout doin that. any info would help me out, thank you
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: need 16v swap walkthrough

Post by Briano1234 »

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sk8androck4fun34

i go to that website alot, i looked around and found little bits of info, but im not to familiar with engine swaps. im knowledgeable in cars, but i just need alot of help with this one. anyone who has done it before have any tips of info for me?
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

Check out VWvortex. Its another VW forum and they have a lot of information in threads and such. Just do a search over there or using google using "VWvortex: 16V Swap" and you should be able to find some good info. I have never done this swap, but it can and has been done. Good luck.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

The automatic should work with it just fine.

Off the top of my head, things you will need.

16v motor - 1.8 or 2.0, doesn't matter. 1.8's came in Jetta's, GTI's & Scirocco's. The 2.0 came in Passats (90'-92' vintage I believe)

1. you will need the 16v passenger motor mount & bracket, it's larger then the 8v and for good reason.

2. Wiring harness from a 16v Scirocco would be your best bet - will connect right up to the existine wiring to the fusebox with little to no modification

3. ECU from a 16v Scirocco
4. knockbox from a 16v Scirocco - 16v has a knock sesnor
5. 3 wire o2 sensor
6. 16v Scirocco Fuel Distribution setup (entire airbox & components that are bolted to it) This is different from the 8v unit.
7. If the engine you get doesn't have it, proper 16v throttle body would a good idea.
8. 16v Scirocco exhaust manitfold - there are differences in the Jetta & gti versions as they are A2 body styles.
9. 16v exhaust downpipe. The ole' toiletbowl downpipe off the cabby won't work.
10. a few of the coolent hoses are different on the 16v, compare and order the ones that are different.
11. distributor - if it doesn't come with the motor you get, you will need one as it's a different kind then the 8v.
12. Plug wires - very different from the 8v (and damn more expensive too :( )
13 Throttle cable - not 100% on this one, need to go compare before taking those one as gospel.
14. Scirocco 16v intake boot.

Ok, so thats just the "off the top of my head" stuff. The reason I make mention of the scirocco components is because the 16v scirocco was still on he A1 chasis and so everything carries over to the cabby pretty well. The 16v Jetta's and GTi's didn't use Cis-E, they used Cis-motronic and will require some altering to hook into the 8v fuse box. The scirocco harness should hook in unaltered I think for the most part. Also, you can carry over your powersteering, AC (if you have it) and alt. The brackets should pretty much all be the same. The other big reason for snagging a motor from the scirocco is that in the Jetta & GTi's, the upper intake manifols has the throttle body on the passenger side of the engine. This means having to re-route fuel lines and all other nonsense. The scirocco inate manny, puts everything right in the same place as the cabby, so here is less work in the long run.

I hope this helps. Definitly check on the vortex as I'm sure there is a better list and very posisble, some nice fellow has posted pictures of the swap to give you a much better idea. The only thing I worry about is that automatic tranny. Not sure how well that will hold up to the 16v, but so long as you are easy on it, it should be ok.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sk8androck4fun34

thank you very much! that was a good bit of info for me. i know a guy on vwvortex was selling all those 16v scirocco parts in a bundle for like $400. thats seems pretty good. i mite just get that and a rebuilt engine and do a few mods. i would love to have it a stick but idk if im willing to go throught the trouble of swapping to a manual, ive never done that and idk what needs to be done to do it. im thinking about buying another cabby thats a stick already and dropping a nice engine like a vr6 or a heavy modded 16v but idk if the stock tranny holds up with those. do you have any info on swapping trannys for either situation?
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
jmbrownell
What year is your cabby?: 1981

Post by jmbrownell »

Hello, I am new to this forum but I thought I should try and pitch in I found this write up on the swap.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2030797
sk8androck4fun34

thank you very much! i think im probably gona stick with the automatic in this car, get it running, put in the performance 2.0 8v from gex.com and rebuild the tranny and call this one good. then ill just go find a cabriolet that is a manual and put the 16v in it. idk if im willing to do that much work when i could just have two awesome, but different cabriolets. i think it would be cool to have an automatic and a manual. is the tranny in the cabriolet the same as the tranny as the scirocco 16v anyone?
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

A good 2l 8v is not a bad motor at all. However, I personally would steer clear of trying to stuff a VR6 into a cabby. You won't have much room when you are done and you will need the Vr tranny. No way a non-built 020 tranny is going to hold up to a VR for long, lol.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sk8androck4fun34

what about a 16v, will that be a problem for a stock manual tranny? itll probly be built up to around 200hp if i do it that way
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

the 16v's, used the same style tranny as the 8v's. Just the gear ratio's were different. If your looking to sit around the 200hp mark, do yourself a favor and put a Limited Slip Differential into the tranny, or at the very least a bolt kit in the stock diff.

The LSD's run about $800, bolt kits are much cheaper. The stock diff's in the tranny are rivited together and once you start getting north of 150hp, become a ticking time-bomb. A bolt kit to replace the rivits will go a long way in saving you some serious :banghead: and money in the long run.

LSD's are a better idea if you plan on running the car hard alot, or tracking the car in any way. I'd also make the reccomendation to go with an LSD if you are planning any form of forced induction. Boost comes on hard and with the LSD, the power gets sent to both drive wheels which reduces the over all load on the main drive axle. Otherwise, hope you like replacing CV's because if you arn't carefull, you will be snapping them.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sk8androck4fun34

that was very helpful, thank you. i think in that case it is best to not go cheap and to through in an LSD. it would be super benificial. do i want to change the gear ratio if i have a stock 8v tranny if i drop a 16v in? and what do u know about upgrading fuel injection? i have CIS right now but i would much rather have something better and more upgradable
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
sk8androck4fun34

for the 8v and the 16v. if im gona have both id rather not deal with cis if i could upgrade
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

Not that I am trying to put a damper on your plans, but CIS is quite capable and can handle up to 200 hp is tunable if you have the tools and the proper literature.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

as mentioned CIS can be made to handel the job. However, for other fuel systems, you can use VW digi-1 which is chipable and will work better with boost, but can be chipped to run NA.

There is also, MegaSquirt, TechII and several others. Really depends on how much time & money you want to put into them.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C