What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Nuts and bolts lost

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:You guy's make me proud :D

Nothing better then seeing forum members helping eachother out. :thumbup:
They are both members of "W H O C A R E S" :D
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Nuts and bolts lost

Post by bbrown »

So its been awhile since I posted in here, but I have fixed my A/C compressor problem for the final time. About two weeks ago (or so) I lost one of the bolts from the compressor to the block mount AGAIN. That was the final straw. I jumped on the Tex read Moljinar's post on how he removed his A/C. Since I don't have power steering mine was a little different, but very similar. I removed the alternator, compressor, and then I removed the bracket that holds both the ac compressor and alternator. It is held on by two bolts that are connected to the water pump and one allen bolt that is mounted to small bracket affixed directly to the block

Images stolen from Molinjar:
Old useless bracket

Remaining bracket and new bolts (I reused the old bolts and added some spacers (nuts) to take into account the bolt being to long by them selves and not wanting to buy new hardware).

Once removed the ac/alternator bracket reveals a new opening as seen above and it exactly the same size as the one needed for the alternator. So I slapped my alternator in and started mock up with the belt to see what I needed for spacing on the alt pully to get proper alignment with the water pump and crank pulleys. I busted out the impact gun and took the pulley off from the alternator. The pulley had four washers under the nut that holds the pulley on. I took these along with one more washer and put them on the backside of the pulley extension and they put the pulley darn near exactly where it needed to be. I know the proper way to do this is with a custom pulley extension, but I worked with what I had. Now belts- the stock belt that goes around the crank, water pump, and ac pulleys will work with this set up and is currently what I have on the car. I bought a belt for a non ac car which is a little skinnier so that it seats better on the alt pulley, but I have not installed it yet.

Here is some of my pics of the setup:
You can see the washers here notice the decent alignement

Lots less crap under the hood now

So there it is.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]