Fuel sending unit has deteriorated part

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sk8androck4fun34
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Fuel sending unit has deteriorated part

Post by sk8androck4fun34 »

I pulled out my fuel sending unit today to replace my fuel sending unit and when i took it out i noticed that the rubber grommet that the unit goes into was deteriorated and the breather looking deal that the rubber is in looks damaged and im assuming i need that to be working well. i tried to find it online and at the parts store but i only found sending units as one assembly and that was normally around $250 and im not willing to buy the whole assembly. part of my problem is i dont know what to call that part to order one, and i dont know where to order one or if there is a replacement i can get that anyone knows of? if anyone has any info please let me know. Thank You
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Fuel sending unit has deteriorated part

Post by Briano1234 »

The o-ring? for the tank, you can get it at germanautoparts. The rubber hoses are replaced with regular fuel hose.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sk8androck4fun34

its not an o-ring, its like an aluminum pivot point that has a piece of rubber in it that holds the fuel pump in place. I wanted to just get rid of the piece and just straight put a piece of fuel hose from the pump to the sending unit but i was advised that it would be a bad idea because that little breather thing im talking about is supposed to stabilize the suction the fuel pump makes. thats coming from a man working at advance auto parts tho. if i knew what it did and what it was called id have alittle easier of a time deciding what to do. germanautoparts is great btw, ive bought everything ive needed from them so far
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Circle what you are talking about in the pic...

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
sk8androck4fun34

im having a really hard time telling whats what in that diagram. do you have one of just the fuel sending unit?
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
tolusina

Post by tolusina »

That is a noise damper you're worrying over. It can be replaced with standard EFI fuel hose and clamps. The pump will obviously be a bit louder without that damper, it'll function fine in all other aspects.
sk8androck4fun34

really? i was hoping that i could just do that, well thats what i was gona do but then the auto parts guy (who i thought mite have known more about it then me) told me i needed it. i will do that, as long as the noise isnt annoying then ill be fine, plus it will help me distinguish if its working or not later on if i think it goes bad. thank you very much! you guys should look at my engine clutter post too, i need help with that. thanx
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ