Engine starts most of the time, wont stay running

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sk8androck4fun34
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Engine starts most of the time, wont stay running

Post by sk8androck4fun34 »

I just bought a 87' Cabriolet a month ago, the person i bought it from only had it for a year but drove it 2 or 3 times only and let it sit the rest. when i went to buy it he had a hard time starting it cause he said he had no gas in it, so he put a few gallons in and we started it up with starter fluid. It ran rough for a minute then ran fine, drove it home and parked it. tried to start it up a few hours later and it started up but wouldnt stay running. i put another 5 gallons gas in, did nothing. i replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, put a new fuel filter(a slightly larger one than stock), and a new air filter as a little tune up and to see if it would help. still not running. i can start it mostly all the time, and when it doesnt it will start with alittle starter fluid. im thinkin maybe the fuel pump needs replacing but not totally sure. any tips would help. BTW this is my first vw, im used to trucks and suvs( i also own a 91 jeep wrangler) that have throttle body injection, this cis stuff is new to me.

P.S. this is an automatic cabriolet. wierd, i know
Thanx
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Engine starts most of the time, wont stay running

Post by Briano1234 »

There are 2 fuel pumps, one in-tank one external.

Do you hear a whinning from the passenger side rear?

Take a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil and pour it in your tank.... Sounds as if you have lacquer build up because of sitting with no fuel.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

In addition to the fuel pumps being faulty (replacement how-to: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3961934 ), you may need to clean the fuel distributor http://www.vintagewatercooleds.com/tech ... cismaf.htm , as well as pulling the fuel injectors to check their spray and cleaning them up if necessary.

You'll also want to check for vacuum leaks (wise idea to just replace all of the vacuum lines) and fix any that appear... CIS hates vacuum leaks.

Also check the timing, and make sure that the air-fuel mixture and idle are adjusted to where they should be: http://www.cabby-info.com/cis .

:beer:
sk8androck4fun34

thank you both, ima try to put some additives in my gas tank as you were saying and clean the fuel system up a bit and hopefully that does something. ill let you guys know
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
sk8androck4fun34

i replaced my transfer pump, clean my fuel distributor out, and cleaned the one injector i could pull out before it got dark, tried starting it. it started up everytime but died right away. tried starting while pushing on the gas, without, half way, starter fluid... nothing. it straight up dies as soon as it starts. i need help! this is pissing me off, idk exactly what it is, idk if there is a code reader i can check the problem with? if anyone has any idea what i should try next please let me know
87 VW Cabriolet
91 Jeep Wrangler YJ
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

You replaced the transfer pump, but what about the main fuel pump? Are the pumps getting power? Check the fuse and relay.

In addition to fuel pressure problems, the timing may be off.

Regarding the code reader: no-can-do on your car.

SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

start with cheap fixes first...could be something as simple as your fuel pump relay...id check that first...just go buy a new one for 12.00 and see if that fixes your problem
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

kamzcab86 wrote:You replaced the transfer pump, but what about the main fuel pump? Are the pumps getting power? Check the fuse and relay.

In addition to fuel pressure problems, the timing may be off.

Regarding the code reader: no-can-do on your car.

i agree with most of this, but if it was the timing it woulda ran like crap
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

When you turn the key to the "on" position (not start) can you hear the main pump (under the car) running. You may need to have somebody turn the key while you listen by the right rear wheel. The pump should buzz for a few seconds then stop.

How did you clean the fuel distributor? Did you take it apart? They are extremely sensitive to being disturbed and the smallest bit of contamination or misalignment of pieces can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

Does the vehicle stay running if you continue spraying small amounts of starting fluid into the intake boot?

Is the frequency valve on the side of the fuel distributor buzzing as you crank the starter?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom