A/C Bypass Pulley

Post all your engine questions and issues here and get help from the members

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

MexicanVW
What year is your cabby?: 0

A/C Bypass Pulley

Post by MexicanVW »

My air conditioner compressor is making a lot of noise. I want to remove the compressor completely. Anyone have a link to a website where I can buy a a/c bypass pulley for a 89 Golf Cnvertible? Thanx
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: A/C Bypass Pulley

Post by Calimus »

You don't need a pully. What you need to find is the altenator bracket from a Non A/C JH motor. So, a non AC, rabbit, golf, jetta with the JH 1.8l motor will have the bracket needed. Then you just need the non AC acc-belt.

Optionally, you can switch to the ABA serpentine belt setup from the 2L 8v motors, but it can be a bit pricey of you don't have a good junk yard available.

There is a third option that uses a funky bolt that can be picked up a most hardware stores. If I can find a link or info, I'll post it up. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: A/C Bypass Pulley

Post by sixsracing »

Need to know which alternator is on your car. Bosch, Motorola or Valeo. All you need to do is find a longer pulley to push the belt out about 1/2 inch or so beyond where it is. Purchase a longer belt and remove the A/C compressor completely. Then your alternator is driven directly from the crank. Simple really. I have actually modified my cab so that the alternator and water pump are driven by one belt and the p/s is driven by another. If you need pictures I can probably take some and e-mail to you. Let me know.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom