Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

The Saga of the 01' Jetta GLX

Post by Calimus »

Is coming to a close. To re-cap, on Sept 17th, my 01' GLX's under dash wiring caught fire as I was pulling out of my driveway. The car died on it's own before I could hit the key and I was quick thinking enough to pop the hood and disconnect the battery before putting the fire out with the water hose.

From there, I made a claim with my insurance, the car was picked up and taken to a local shop against my better judgment. That shop saw that the wiring carnage was more then they could deal with so they outsourced it to another local electrical contractor who made the mistake in calling me and telling me he couldn't find the damage. I immediately made calls and had the car taken to my nearest VW dealer. This whole part of the process took till Oct 1st, which is when the car arrived at the dealer.

From there, the dealer was trying to make quick work of the problem since I have some friends that work there and they knew who's hands to put the car in. Problem is, in going to the dealer, the car crossed some invisible line which shifted the claim to a different adjuster. I've affectionately named this new adjuster Mr. F'tard. Mr. F'tard gave the dealer old contact info for faxing updates and supplement request info into the claims center. So it took 2 days for them to get this straightened with my help (meaning I was calling Mr. F'tard and being ignored much like the dealer was). I called the claims agent I first dealt with and she got things moving. Then, the initial estimate to diagnose quickly became an under-estimation since they found far more damage to the wiring then just where the fire occurred. An again, Mr. F'tard was slow in responding. That brings us to the 15th of October when the dealer called me (as they had been to give me updates since Mr. F'tard didn't like to do that) to let me know they were waiting on Mr. F'tard again but that things weren't looking very hopeful on a repair. Kuklaki and I were in Savannah at the time trying to enjoy our anniversary, which we managed to do anyway.

So on Monday the 18th, the dealer calls to tell me they still haven't heard from Mr. F'tard. I tell them to leave him one more message for him, I will do the same and if we don't hear anything by Tuesday evening to let me know and I will take more drastic measures from here (meaning I will go show up at Mr. F'tards office once I find out where that is). Well, Tuesday came and I didn't hear from Mr. F'tard, but I didn't hear from the dealer either. So yesterday, the 20th. I call the claims agent again, quickly tell her that she's about to be blasted, but that I know it's not her fault and to make sure the frustration is passed to the responsible party and that I want a new damn adjuster pronto. She takes everything like a champ, says she'll call me in 15min. She calls me back in 10. Seems the dealer got way more fed up and called some folks at the Insurance corporate office. There was already a new adjuster assigned to my claim that morning and he was already at the dealer ship. She told me he'd be calling me directly, which he did.

My new adjusters name is Danny, and in my book, he's the anti-Mr. F'tard. in 2 hours of being at the dealership, Danny took care of everything. He evaluated the issue, declared the car a loss, spoke with the tech's to get all the info on the car so he could make a proper appraisal and called me back. Aside from justifying my irritation and apologizing for Mr. F'tard more times then I can count, he let me know exactly where things stood, gave me all his contact info (home number too) and let me know that I'd have a settlement offer before 1pm today. He lived up to his word 100%.

The offer came in $400 more then I was even hoping for. He also let me know that he filed official complaints on Mr. F'tard on my behalf as well as the dealerships. So tomorrow I will be going down after work to get my plate and say my last farewell to my much loved Jetta. :cry:

The lowdown is that whatever the hell happened, it took out the entire central wiring harness and all the control modules as well as the relay panel. All in all and estimated 8k to repair the car, most of that is labor since the entire interior would have to be removed to access all the wires. As it stands, the entire dash is dismantled and I'll try and get some pics of that. So with that, the saga comes to and end and what should have taken a week to resolve, has taken just over a month. Danny however, has restored my faith in my Insurance company. He's even made sure that at any point in the future, he's to handle any claims I may have to make. He's been with the company for 15 years and says he's not going anywhere for at least another 15. An the fact that I really like my local agent who as it turns out, is a good friend of Danny's ( My agent called me today too once he caught wind of things) helps me feel a bit better, that I just found the turd in the punchbowl and that it's not a punchbowl full of turds.

Now I just have to find a new set of wheels. :twisted:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Re: The Saga of the 01' Jetta GLX

Post by eric4321 »

Sorey to hear the car is totaled. Any way you could fix it yourself? I was wonering why news on the car was so slow. Good luck on a replacement and thank God you were unharmed from the fire.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Too bad for the Jetta. But at least you are going to have a new car.

I'm glad you got a good responce from your Insurance company. I hope Mr. F'tard has joined the ranks of the unemployed.

Good luck hunting the new car William.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Eric, I could fix it, but the parts alone are about 3k. An even with as much as I know, it's a hell of a job for one guy time wise. Maybe if I had the time and room in my garage I would consider buying it back, but as it is, I have 3 project cars that I've been neglecting for a while now. Oh and the fire really wasn't that bad. I had the time to disconnect the battery and get the hose all without running. Just glad it was in the driveway and not elsewhere.

Phil - The car hunt has been on since the day of the fire. I knew it wasn't coming back. Right now, I'll be going to look at an 05' GLI Saturday. However, a 03' BMW 330ci has also caught my eye. I don't know that I want to get into the BMW world, I'm rather comfy in my VW blanket, but I'll just have to see which I like better.

An yea, Mr. F'tard certainly does not need to be in his current line of work. Due to the economic times and recent experience with it myself, I don't wish unemployment on anyone, but he certainly doesn't need to be doing what he's doing.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Bummer news! :(

I'd take that vintage of VW (particularly the GLI) over the same vintage BMW... not because I'm VW-obsessed, but because the BMW's, from the few folks I know who've had 'em, are a financial wasteland when it comes time to work on them. But they are nice-looking! :mrgreen:
eric4321 wrote: I was wonering why news on the car was so slow.
For the same f'n reason my own Jetta took 3 freakin' months to get repaired: A lousy, lazy-assed, good-for-nothing, "over-booked" insurance adjuster who doesn't give a sh*t about customer service. It got so bad that the head honcho had to be brought in on the mess. To make it worse, my own stupid-ass agent's assistant told me to deal with the other guy's insurance (AIG) directly; it wasn't their job to get involved unless AIG (who had just received a nice fat bailout check from Uncle Sam and then partied it up at a Phoenix resort!! :rmad: ) didn't take care of the repairs (isn't that one reason I send those legalized extortion checks every 6 months?! :roll: ). Nice to hear William, in the end at least, got someone good to deal with. :thumbup:
eric4321

Post by eric4321 »

I second what Kammy said about BMW's. They are nice looking and great to drive but can be a money pit. Good luck finding a good ride.
(Project next in line)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

kamzcab86 wrote:
For the same f'n reason my own Jetta took 3 freakin' months to get repaired: A lousy, lazy-assed, good-for-nothing, "over-booked" insurance adjuster who doesn't give a sh*t about customer service. It got so bad that the head honcho had to be brought in on the mess. To make it worse, my own stupid-ass agent's assistant told me to deal with the other guy's insurance (AIG) directly; it wasn't their job to get involved unless AIG (who had just received a nice fat bailout check from Uncle Sam and then partied it up at a Phoenix resort!! :rmad: ) didn't take care of the repairs (isn't that one reason I send those legalized extortion checks every 6 months?! :roll: ). Nice to hear William, in the end at least, got someone good to deal with. :thumbup:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: I don't think I've ever seen you swear that much ever!

However, I have to agree 100%

I really am leaning to the GLI. It looks better IMHO and I already know I like they way they drive/handle.

Here's a link to the one I'm looking at. I know it's a crazy long url, sorry.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c ... dard=false
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

DAYUM...............The hoops and fires one has to go through to get resolution from a INS. company always amazes me. I too seem to get the ass clown of the company at first. I even had one insurance dudette, saying to me that they were going to close my claim as there had been no action on it for 2 months. When I reminded her that is was because they the insurance company was sourcing parts, she said oh, we couldn't find any.. I said and when were you going to tell me that?

I just wonder if there is a Generic Ass-Clown insurance company school....

My brother just bought a Bemmer, and it takes like 13 quarts of 20 dollar oil for a change.....
or some ungodly ammount...

So, to me if it don't have a Dub emblem on it, it ain't shit.....

Good luck on the looking.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

:lol: It takes a lot for me to get incredibly pissed off. Dealing with the dumb beeatch at AIG because my St. Farm agent couldn't be bothered sent me over the edge. The body shop, however, did a great job; I should've had them paint the whole car!

That GLI is a nice-lookin' one. The one and only problem with it: It's not a VR6. :mrgreen: :P
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I'm right there with ya on the lack of 2 cylinders. I've been searching for a 24v VR, but either they are higher mileage then my 12v was or the cars are ragged out pretty bad. I will truly miss the VR.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Today's result is no addition of a GLI to the stable.

The car was in pretty good shape externally (light curbage on the wheels, one solid door ding) however, the interior was a major let down. If you looked at the link I posted everything looked great. Got down there, opened the door, and WTF. The armrest was gone, nice gaping hole where it should have been, the button on the e-brake handle was gone, pass side visor clip broken and the fabric over the access panel to the sunroof motor was falling off and showing evidence of replacement gone wrong. There were also a bunch of dents in the alum-trim on the inside drivers door (Who beats the shit outta this part??).

Nothing that can't be fixed, but none of this showed in the pics, wasn't in the description and when we called, we were told the whole car was in excellent shape. Had I known these things were messed up, I wouldn't have driven the distance. Worse yet, I figured since we were there, lets talk numbers. Considering the condition of things, maybe something could be worked out.

It was a short talk. They didn't want to eat the cost on the sunvisor clip & e-brake button ( $30 worth according to their parts counter and I was willing to pay for the center console myself which was almost $400). Then they tried to slip by a $600 doc-prep fee and that's where it all stopped. Told them I wasn't paying $600 for $30 worth of work and the sales guy didn't want to work anything out. I know it's hard coded into their system, and told him to take it off the car. He didn't want to even approach the sales manager about it. Told him that's fine, I'll keep my money and we left.

So, I certainly won't ever be setting foot on that lot again. The sales guy was also a bit of a douche. He got pretty defensive when I told him right off, I know the car biz, I know why I'm here, I know these cars, don't screw with me & here's my terms. He tried to weasel a few different things an we called him out on it every time.

So the hunt continues. Did test a 02' 330ci at another lot. Was damn impressive, but headroom isn't great and I'm not sure I want to get into a bmw.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

The only difference between a Politician, Computer Salesman, and a Used Car Salesman.... is that only the Used Car Salesman Knows when he is lying... ba-dump

:P

Sorry for the let down.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
eric4321

Post by eric4321 »

I once drove a long way to a dealer to look at an MK2 Jetta. The sales idiot at the dealer said it was in "nice shape". He lied about the mileage almost 300,000 and the brakes were shot the bumper was tied on with rope and the interior had cigerette burns all over. I pointed out everything wrong with the car and he would not budge on the price! Then Mr Idiot had the nerve to give me his card! I promtly shreded it and threw it away. Isn't used car buying fun sometimes?!
(Project next in line)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Too bad you had to go through all that. But at least you didn't get screwed on a lemon.

If it were me, since it was a registered dealer, I would call the Customer Service 1-800 number and report the bad expierence.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
kamzcab86

Post by kamzcab86 »

That's a bummer. Typical dealer... wasting everyone's time and your money (in gas getting there). :roll: You'd think in this economy they'd be happy to dump their inventories. :screwy:

Just did a quick AutoTrader search; there are a lot of Jettas for sale in your area, as I'm sure you already know. Including this VR6 GLI and this VR6 GLI. :mrgreen: