Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: The Saga of the 01' Jetta GLX

Post by Calimus »

Yup, it sucked, but it is what it is. Kammy, I've seen both of those listed an plan on calling on them this week to see if they are still available to look at.

There's a third one as well that I've found from a private seller that I want to check out too. So, I'm hoping one of those will pan out.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull

Post by gull »

kamzcab86 wrote:That's a bummer. Typical dealer... wasting everyone's time and your money (in gas getting there). :roll: You'd think in this economy they'd be happy to dump their inventories. :screwy:
It's actually a seller's market for used cars right now. First Cash for Clunkers decimated the ranks of used cars. Then, because of the bad economy, people who couldn't afford new cars anymore started buying used ones. That means more demand for used cars, and less supply due to fewer people trading them in on new models.

More people chasing fewer cars means used car dealer prices are up all over the place.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

true, prices are up, but I'm not having an issue with cars in my price range. The issue is that they all look great in pic but then are total Monet's when I walk up to them.

As much as I wasn't looking for a bigger car, I've found a super sharp A6 with the 2.7 twin turbo V6. All maint done and this guy took his pics with a DSLR and took more pics of everything that I could believe. We are in talks but hope it all turns out. It's also a 6spd manual so that's even better. I get the S4 motor & trans, but with a bit more luxury on the inside. Hard combo to beat. We'll see if this one works out.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Well, here's to hoping the saga will be ending this Saturday. I've seen 8-10 Jetta's over the last week and all of them have been crap. I even lowered my standards a bit and still found nothing but crap. Cars that look fantastic on the outside, but inside are really bad, smell like someone died in them or worse. The rest were mediocre inside, but had trouble under the hood. So I've given up on finding a decent Jetta and expanded my car search.

Which has landed me at the following: An 02' Audi A6 Sport. 2.7l Twin Turbo w/6spd manual. All maintinence done including the timing belts, tensioners, water pump, valve cover gaskets, all fluids and a few other things all done in the last 1k miles. Was recently APR chipped to boot. I'll be heading to Bowling Green, KY Saturday to go have a look. Been IM'ing the owner the last few days and spoke with him for 45min tonight. He's the second owner and bought the car 3 months ago. Only reason he's letting it go after doing all that work is because he got a shot at a S55 AMG Merc and he couldn't resist.

He's a pretty picky guy and is replacing a few nick-nacks just because he was going to anyway and doesn't want the next owner to feel that "this or that should have been replaced as they are little items".

Here are a few pics that he has listed for it.

Really hoping this one pans out. It's kinda like an S4 that's a tad larger and has a few extra upgrades. I didn't exactly what a car this large, but it appears that I can't find anything smaller that wasn't treated like shit either. So it's worth a shot. Wish me luck.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Looks very nice.

I'll bet you will be happy with that!
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I'm thinking so Phil. Hope it's all it's cracked up to be, long drive for a let down.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:I'm thinking so Phil. Hope it's all it's cracked up to be, long drive for a let down.
Better than flying to Ft Lauderdale, and finding that the car is in worse shape than the one
they totaled..... FARGING WEASELS and "trick" photography.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Yea, I think the weasle would have gone pop if that had me taking that flight.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

I wouldn't mind at all having an Audi parked in my garage (preferably an RS4 Avant :mrgreen: ). Good choice, William! Here's hoping it all works out for you. :beer:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Thx, Kammy. I'm with ya on the RS4 part, but I could make due with a normal one. I'm not the wagon type, lol. Leaving at 8am, so I'm gonna get some sleep.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

I love the wagons! When I had to get coolant at the Audi dealer a couple years ago, I walked right by a brand new Audi "sport wagon"... and drooled! Of course, the R8 in the showroom wasn't half bad either... except for its price tag. :mrgreen:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

kamzcab86 wrote:I love the wagons! When I had to get coolant at the Audi dealer a couple years ago, I walked right by a brand new Audi "sport wagon"... and drooled! Of course, the R8 in the showroom wasn't half bad either... except for its price tag. :mrgreen:
If it wasn't for the price tag, I too would probably be looking at new car's too........
Scares me that they want about the price of a new home for a car........... :) And they wonder why the new car market is depressed............
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

The A6 has a new home. The drive back was awesome. Damn does that car have some serious power. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:The A6 has a new home. The drive back was awesome. Damn does that car have some serious power. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
And do you have the ticket to prove it?

Congrats William, and could Cristine keep up with ya?
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Nope, not tickets. Thanks in part to the Passport radar/laser detector that came with it, which I didn't really need to rely on. Only one cop the whole way home and I was behaving when I came across him.

As for the Beetle keeping up, it can for just a few moments and then it's adios. The power difference between the two is about 103hp in the A6's favor and 141lbs of torque also in the A6's favor. Whats amazing is that the power delivery on the A6 doesn't feel like boost. It feels much more like good ol'fashion naturally aspirated power.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C