Full circle - buggy build & Memorial day weekend

Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

vw_nick
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Full circle - buggy build & Memorial day weekend

Post by vw_nick »

Overall it was an excellent trip - couldn't have asked for a better weekend. There were TONS of buggies up there.

My buggy did very well for it's first time out, the only thing I broke was a rear bump stop (stock) which I'm told doesn't count. I had some running issues... I had read up on 009 and 34pict-3 hesitation problems and tried the suggested tricks but that resulted in no top end which we didn't know when tuning it on the foor at work. I dealt with it saturday and part of sunday and changed out my main carb jet to a smaller size (1 up from stock vs. 2 up from stock) and it was a completely different animal, however it suffered from a pretty big hesitation when you step on the throttle, which the other jet had resolved, so I had to constantly feather the gas to pump the accelerator pump , which I'm pretty sure we had already "turned up" all the way. I'll have to keep an eye out for a progressive weber or maybe another bugspray. Never saw a flicker from the oil pressure light which was nice... it was a bit of a question mark having not disassembled the bottom end and just running it in the shop for about 15 minutes.

The rear bottoms out going over jumps, which I expected... I need to turn up the torsion bars because after having "settled" it's got about 50% droop. That should help out a bit... I'm not planning on the shock relocate this year, maybe for next year. My brakes worked great.. very pleased with the results there... I'd really like a rear view mirror, the roof area near the center of my windshield frame was pretty clean after this weekend so it would work out, just need to find one to bolt to the roof. I'd like to get the 3 rib tractor tires for the front because the tread on the tires I have now throws a TON of mud and water, like a giant pinwheel of muck. Oh, and yeah, you really do need cutting brakes... that'll have to wait until next year too but both times I got stuck they would have gotten me out.

before:

Completely re-born!

Pictures don't do this justice - you could hardly stand up it was so steep.

He drove it out of the woods for an unknown distance like this, and up onto the trailer! He didn't even know it was broken until we got back to camp! The CV joint still worked!

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6rn07NTmHk
Nick
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Full circle - buggy build & Memorial day weekend

Post by Briano1234 »

Glad it all worked fine.

So are you missing the Cabby yet?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Good stuff Nick. Last half of that vid made me a bit seasick though :D

Glad to see you are enjoying that buggy. Looks like a blast.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

I think you'll be happier with a distributor with a vacuum can, if you can locate a good one. The supposed performance advantages of the -009 are mostly myths and legends. You'll find a dual-advance (vacuum + centrifugal, which is what most VWs used stock) to be much more drivable.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force