starts with V, but not a volkswagen.

Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

vw_nick
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

starts with V, but not a volkswagen.

Post by vw_nick »

picked it up Sunday. Initially I thought it was a '95 b/c that's what owners manual they had for it, but it's a '93. 190k on it, automatic. has leaky heater core, an exhaust leak, water leak in area of blower motor, which doesn't work. Also some sort of banging noise in right front suspension. So far I've restitched two seams on the driver's seat bottom, washed out the carpet yesterday. Then found better carpet at pull a part today, and washed that out. (carpet, 4 oem mats, kick panel, window scraper, blower fan resistor, >$15. Gotta love pullapart) Carpet used to be tan now it's pinkish. Going to try out some different dye methods on the old carpet (rit vs aerosol). Best news is it has a t-belt sticker from 166k and carfax says it had a new owner 6 days before it was at the dealer at 165k for maintenance, and then at 166k for more maintenance, which means they sold them the t-belt repair when they were in for the maintenance and they came back the next month for it, which (assuming they did the full monty) saves me $300 in parts. (parts are pretty high for these things) Folks I got it from bought it sometime early to mid '08. Carpet used to be tan now it's pinkish. Going to try out some different dye methods on the old carpet.

So.. it's been around but it should clean up pretty nice. I got the driver's door and fender molding at pull a part today but they were the wrong ones, didn't know they were different '95-'97. Other than that the only thing wrong with it bodywise is some very light paint transfer and wrinkles on the bottom of the left rear door and the little area of the wheel well behind the door.

pics from last night.

Nick
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Re: starts with V, but not a volkswagen.

Post by Calimus »

Nice Nick. Getting worried though, less VW's in the herd there.

Some nifty things can be done with those cars though
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Volvo's are nice, boxy, and practical. But I remember those sainted words of my father, he actually looked at buying one in the 60's but he said, that he could never drive a car that
sounded like a part of an anatomy, whatever that meant. Hey I was like 12-13 at the time............And he was mad because he couldn't buy another Rambler.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

they 850 isn't near as good of a car as a 240 or 740 but they're not bad. They were still pretty new when I was working at the volvo shop 10 years ago. Like comparing a mkIII vs. MKIII I guess, except it's probably more like MKIV vs MKII so far as the leap in technology between the two. They sold both in '93 (last year of 240s) but they are lightyears apart. However, for the money, it should turn out to be a good car. I do like the bodystyle, and I like white or silver cars. The interior is beige, which I really don't care for but it's not worth the $ to try to find parts to swap.
Nick