Hiya gang, long time - no chat (yes I sold Taz) "PICS added"

Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

speedtek
What year is your cabby?: 1982

Hiya gang, long time - no chat (yes I sold Taz) "PICS added"

Post by speedtek »

Just popping by to say "hi" and catch the gang up on how things have been going.

It's been an interesting year so far (to say the least). I was involved in a head on collision on the first day of spring when a young driver lost control and spun out into my oncoming lane on the highway. Needless to say, the big Audi saved my azz :thumbup: , but I was off work for a month and a half recuperating and have been on light duties ever since. (back to full in September)

I sold Taz to his new owner in Calgary in April. I had to drive him down to Saskatoon (little over an hour away) to meet up with the guy. Taz drove flawlessly and was a pleasure to run, if my chest hadn't have been so sore from the accident I might have had second thoughts about selling him, but that hard ride sealed the deal...lol. Taz drove 8 hours back to Calgary without a hitch and then promptly dropped off the map. New owner hasn't taken him out to any shows or participated in any forums afaik, sad :( :( .

After all that I managed to find a gorgeous replacement for Taz and my totalled 96 S6.
A 1997 Audi S6 (super rare, one of 23 imported to North America for the 97 model year....USA didn't get them in 97). One owner, full maintenance history from new and practically mint. 8)
Picked it up in Ontario of all places, but you'd never know it....not a speck of corossion anywhere...not even underneath.
Naturally I started modding stuff right away..lol....I just can't leave well enough alone.
Currently running a stage 1 chip, 034 diverter, still working on getting modded coil packs to work and install meth injection. Oh yeah and I installed the 2 piece BBS RY wheels (euro mercedes, not imported to NA).
All in all, 97 has been an interesting year so far :o :lol:

after I bought it, stock wheels

BBS RY wheel whore goodness....

final shots of old Taz:

here's a video of the last run I did with the carbs. This was made to show the buyer how they sounded (a virtual test drive if you will)

That's it in a nutshell....how's everyone else doing? :D
Last edited by speedtek on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: Hiya gang, long time - no chat (yes I sold Taz)

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I'm glad to see you haven't gone away.

Glad to hear you are OK after the accident. Too bad for the Audi.

The '97 looks good.

It was funny I was talking to a couple of guys today about Cabriolets and he mentioned Taz.

I'm still lookig for Taz, maybe he will drop in to Das Volks tomorrow. I't be cool if he did.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Let me know if he does, I've been hoping he'll get him out to a show this year. After putting so much damn work into that thing it would be nice to have some people see it at least.... :lol:
He's running all Black wheels on it now, so it may look a little different. :? Personally I didn't like the look, but it's his car......
I just know shit..........
my (really) old cardomain
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Wow....can't believe how quiet it is in here these days :shock:
Did everyone defect? :lol:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

No, lets see.. My Baby daughter wrecked my green cabbie. ( I have got all the replacement parts.)
Have 5 cars that I have to get past emissions ( the green cabby needed a new cat). Still have to do the 92 caravan. So that is 4 down and 1 to go.

Been having chest pains and have scheduled a visit to the Cardiologist on WED. (so I can't do a hell of a lot of anything as I don't want a heart attack(besides momma is sitting on my arse very greatly)).

I can't even prep the parts as that takes too much effort and hurts so it will wait a while....

Number one Son, helps as he can but his arm is in a cast so he too is on the injured reserve list.

But I did get my Kitchen finished (okay haven't done the counter tops or the floor yet) but the cabinets are no longer the crappy mauve, blue and almond.

So I imagine that folks like me have a running cabby and are enjoying the topless weather.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

Hi speedtex. I am bbrown from Maine which is often confused as being part of Canada (at least when it comes to dealing with some Texans). I have to say that I have always loved Taz and I wish I had been a part of the forum earlier so that I could have watched the build live, but I have read many of your posts and have had the benefit of seeing the finished product right off the bat. I have an '86 that I have been driving during my summers here in Maine and I love it. As of lately I have been going one by one through briano1234's write up on leaky Cabby's and fixing a few things like the top curl that sits on the A pillar and some other small details. I really like your Audi and the BBS wheels are a great addition. Someday when I am out of college and the bills are paid down I would like to get an S4, but that's a few years down the road. Quick question for you: what kind of camera are you using? I am assuming it must be a DSLR or some other proffesional grade camera with a wide angle lense? I just have a Kodax with a 10x optical zoom, but I am kind of limited to what I can do and I really like lots of the pictures that you take. WOW, long post.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Briano1234 wrote:No, lets see.. My Baby daughter wrecked my green cabbie. ( I have got all the replacement parts.)
Have 5 cars that I have to get past emissions ( the green cabby needed a new cat). Still have to do the 92 caravan. So that is 4 down and 1 to go.

Been having chest pains and have scheduled a visit to the Cardiologist on WED. (so I can't do a hell of a lot of anything as I don't want a heart attack(besides momma is sitting on my arse very greatly)).

I can't even prep the parts as that takes too much effort and hurts so it will wait a while....

Number one Son, helps as he can but his arm is in a cast so he too is on the injured reserve list.

But I did get my Kitchen finished (okay haven't done the counter tops or the floor yet) but the cabinets are no longer the crappy mauve, blue and almond.

So I imagine that folks like me have a running cabby and are enjoying the topless weather.
Yikes, well take care of yourself man and tell baby daughter "you broke it, you fix it" :lol:
I can't believe they didn't put you in a hospital bed if you are having chest pains :shock: , did they at least run some tests and confirm whether it really was heart related or not?
Take it easy until you see the doc, good luck........
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

bbrown wrote:Hi speedtex. I am bbrown from Maine which is often confused as being part of Canada (at least when it comes to dealing with some Texans). I have to say that I have always loved Taz and I wish I had been a part of the forum earlier so that I could have watched the build live, but I have read many of your posts and have had the benefit of seeing the finished product right off the bat. I have an '86 that I have been driving during my summers here in Maine and I love it. As of lately I have been going one by one through briano1234's write up on leaky Cabby's and fixing a few things like the top curl that sits on the A pillar and some other small details. I really like your Audi and the BBS wheels are a great addition. Someday when I am out of college and the bills are paid down I would like to get an S4, but that's a few years down the road. Quick question for you: what kind of camera are you using? I am assuming it must be a DSLR or some other proffesional grade camera with a wide angle lense? I just have a Kodax with a 10x optical zoom, but I am kind of limited to what I can do and I really like lots of the pictures that you take. WOW, long post.
Hi bbrown, thanks for the comments...if you ever have any questions, feel free to email and ask. I hope your 86 turns out exactly the way you want it, they really are a lot of fun to work with.... 8)

As for the camera, nope it's just a simple Canon Power shot A720 (the most recent pics). I used to use a Canon Power Shot A510 which was lower res, but I actually liked it better (flip and fold viewscreen). If you play with the settings and angles (and pay attention to your lighting) you can take some pretty nice shots with these cameras....you can add lenses, but I've never bothered. I'd buy a bigger fancier camera, but I just hate lugging a big bulky thing around, this one is bad enough...lol. Choose a nice background and get your shot low and angled, you may find you can take just a nice of a pic with your Kodak. 8)
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

Some random shots from my collection and a bit of a trip down memory lane with old Taz

Weber 8V intake

Weber goodness

Compared to my early look (ok, maybe the purple wasn't such a good idea...LOL)

Wow this one i old......Taz in his early phase

Early Taz meanness

One of my favorite Taz hero shots (didn't this one make the calander?)
same location

Taz has "seen" snow

Anyone remember Alice?

Taz being dissected

peek-a-boo

VW friendly parking

Taz at DATR a few years ago

On the road to DATR

My killer puppy

The old S6 that got killed

The new S6 from a different angle

R8 V10 beside an R8 V8
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom

Post by kamzcab86 »

Hi, Jeff! Wow, that's a major update... :o :( . Glad to hear you're on the mend. :thumbup:

That "new" Audi looks great with its new shoes... What is it about German cars and BBS that just go together?
speedtek wrote: One of my favorite Taz hero shots (didn't this one make the calander?)
It sure did! http://www.cabby-info.com/Calendar :mrgreen: Did you ever get one?? If not, let me know!
speedtek

Re: Hiya gang, long time - no chat (yes I sold Taz) "PICS added"

Post by speedtek »

Actually, no I didn't....how much were they?

Edit: NM, found it....ordered.......I'll send in a couple shots for next year too.....
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Nice pics Speed. Sorry you had to sell Taz, every more sorry about the accident. gratz on the newer S6. I'm hoping next year when I can pickup a new job (current job ending somewhere from March/May) that I can put the wife in a S4 and get rid of the junk beetle she's currently daily beating. :thumbup:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
speedtek

Post by speedtek »

whatever you do, don't drive it or you'll never want to ride in your cabby again..... :lol:
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

Loved the video. That car could really boogie.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom

Post by kamzcab86 »

Since Yahoo Mail is being a PITA today: Calendar is on its way, Jeff. :thumbup: :beer: