Want to share info about things other then cabriolets? Post it here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber, Briano1234

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

New Toy - non-VW

Post by Calimus »

Ok, so a week ago I gave up one toy for another. Not to worry, all the VWs are safe. I traded in my Vmax for an FJR1300. Unfortunatly the Vmax was hard to ride for long distances and it wasn't all that great on gas either.

After seeing an FJR on the showroom floor a few months back, I was pretty much hooked and after lots of research, it was just what I was looking for. Comfy, sporty, built in luggage for hauling stuff, faster then the Vmax, gas milage in the 40+mpg range and headlights that actually let me see where the hell I was going at night.

I don't have good pics yet, but I did get a quick vid clip up. It's an 05' model with around $1k in extras already on the bike which saved me a ton since they are the exact upgrades I wanted. I won't bore anyone with the details unless you just want to know. But here is the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaSjAOLkwRo
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

This thread is useless without pics....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I so knew that would happen :lol:

I'll try and get some pics tonight or tomorrow and get them up.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Ok, here's a couple of pics. Don't laugh at the color, the flourescent lights in the garage make it look purple, but it's really a dark blue (almost a candy color).

16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Calimus wrote:Ok, here's a couple of pics. Don't laugh at the color, the flourescent lights in the garage make it look purple, but it's really a dark blue (almost a candy color).

MMMMMM Purple? MMMMMMM ok, I will buy that as my car is blue, but under the right light it is purple too.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

SHAWEET!!! i thought you loved your old bike? new ones nice tho!
man, you got more toys then toys-R-us.... :D
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
gull

Post by gull »

That's a nice, clean instrument cluster. Sometimes I think auto manufacturers could learn something about gauge design from motorcycle designers.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

1lowcab wrote:SHAWEET!!! i thought you loved your old bike? new ones nice tho!
I did love the Vmax, but as the trips on the bike got longer, my ass and back started hurting more. Not to mention that gas milage on the Max at best hit 35mpg. That ment staying between 50-70mph. The FJR gets about 41mpg with a ton of 100+mph play time.

Just when to Alabama on Saturday to go check on our cabin adn came back today. Was too F'ing hot to stay a second night, but still put about 200 miles on the bike durring the trip. No pain as a result, but we got rained on on both legs of the trip.

As for the Toy's-R-Us bit, I think I'm just making up for a childhood where I had to share what little I had with two sisters. The good news is that I think I've hit that point where I don't need anything else. Hey wait a sec, the bulk of the toy's belong to Crisitne, what am I thinking :lol:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Calimus wrote:
1lowcab wrote:SHAWEET!!! i thought you loved your old bike? new ones nice tho!
I did love the Vmax, but as the trips on the bike got longer, my ass and back started hurting more. Not to mention that gas milage on the Max at best hit 35mpg. That ment staying between 50-70mph. The FJR gets about 41mpg with a ton of 100+mph play time.

Just when to Alabama on Saturday to go check on our cabin adn came back today. Was too F'ing hot to stay a second night, but still put about 200 miles on the bike durring the trip. No pain as a result, but we got rained on on both legs of the trip.

As for the Toy's-R-Us bit, I think I'm just making up for a childhood where I had to share what little I had with two sisters. The good news is that I think I've hit that point where I don't need anything else. Hey wait a sec, the bulk of the toy's belong to Crisitne, what am I thinking :lol:

Poor little VMAX................. Next goes the SV,,,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmm :D , That might be a good thing. A trio of riders to Alabama. J/K, Will the bike is looking Great. Cant waint to get up there and see that beast. Hope all is well. Take care
"I am the first meal of William's Man Eating Rocco"
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

damn, there it is... the new bike. Nice!! thats why you not working on the cars.. to much time on that. screw work! if i had a bike like that, i would call in sick and go crusin!
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

I guess I should break the news here. Main reason for both mine and Cristines quietness for a while has just been a bunch of "life" getting in the way.

Daughter getting ready to go off to college

Work has been a killer for both of us

Cars (except mine) are running

Haven't really bothered with any repairs as I've been ridding the snot out of the new bike up untill the 15th of this month (August)

While on my way to work that morning, a 76 year old man driving a Chevy Venture mini-van ran a red light and broadsided me while I was turning onto a main road.

The good news is, I walked away with very minor injuries. The bad news, it's had to tell which took more damage, myself or the bike. So far if by cost alone, the bike wins as the last estimate (yesterday) was at $3679. But it's being repaired as the FJR's bluebook is much higher then that.

So, in this time, I've almost healed up 100%. I had muscle pulls, bumps, bruises and some road rash, though all my gear held and my skin never actually touched the ground. The Gear saved my ass and thats why I wear it. So, now for a few pics.

So, again, I'm fine, bike is being fixed, geezer will hopefully loose his license and all my gear will be replaced. Almost 3 weeks without the bike and I feel severe withdawls. However, I've also been wanting to work on the rocco again, which is good. Just up until this week, I haven't been able to bend my knees enough to do it. I can now, so I might do some work this weekend.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

It's good to hear that your OK William.

I hope that:

1. The bike is fixed properly, so you won't have to continue to fight to "make it right"

2. Geezer looses his licence.

3. You are able to ride the bike again soon.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Damn William.. Glad that everything is ok for you...................
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Hey thanks guy's. I really owe everyone here on TRF an appology since I haven't been around much. I was in a bit of a rut (with VW's, not you folks) and I needed a break. The Bike was exactly what I needed.

Anyway, The bike should be gettin fixed soon. Still haven't gotten a check from the insurance company for the bike damages just yet, but it better show up real soon.

I still have to settle with the insurance for the damages to me (very minor) and to my safty gear (slightly exspensive). Being that it's almost been a month since the accident, my patients is wearing very thin.

However, on a positive note, I'm about 99% healed up. Knee's are back to normal and all thats really left is some issues with my right shoulder. I'll be going back to the Doc soon as it's causing some headaches due to neck muscle fatigue. Prollie a trip to the chiropractor to re-align a few things as I'll be as good as new.

Meanwhile, I've been taking an inventory of the crap piled up in my garage. It's time to start working on the rocco again. I started by pressure washing the tranny, I can see that I'll have to do this a few times, however the first session was a massive improvement. 19 years of crud takes some time to come off though.

Again, thanks for the concerns. The bike will be repaired correctly, I've met the mechanic at the dealership that will be doing the work and he expects me to go over his work with a fine toothed comb and wouldn't have it any other way. I've leared a lot about my bike due to the mishap. It's in good hands. As soon as it's back on the road, fresh pics will be taken of me actually on it in an upright position. :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
bLac K aBriOleT89

Post by bLac K aBriOleT89 »

Glad to hear you are better William!
1989 Graphite Black Metallic Cabriolet

2005 BMW X3 3.0i - Sapphire Black Metallic

2002 BMW M3 - Steel Gray-Coupe, 6 sp