1984 Rebuild

Doing a restoration or putting the car back to stock, post your builds here

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: 1984 Rebuild

Post by 84Vert »

Getting ready to order the windshield gasket, CV axles and a few other small items. Hoping to have the Rabbit on the road by summer
84 Rabbit Convertible
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Got the gasket, now just need some good weather. Last weekend I was able to paint another rim, so those are getting done
84 Rabbit Convertible
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Got the gasket on the windshield but can't get the windshield in :cry: Also got the heater control valve in this weekend and finished painting the rims. Ordered new CV axles and they will be in on Tuesday so it was a good weekend, except for not getting the windshield in.

Here are some pictures of previous work
Attachments
Rabbit Axle 2 9-25.jpg
PB140004.JPG
PB140003.JPG
84 Rabbit Convertible
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Thanks Brian, I have watched those and am still messing up somehow. I think part of my problem is not having any help. One evening this week I will get my neighbor and see if he can help me
84 Rabbit Convertible
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

84Vert wrote:Thanks Brian, I have watched those and am still messing up somehow. I think part of my problem is not having any help. One evening this week I will get my neighbor and see if he can help me
I know that feeling, but in my case I have a rather large son, and a wife that with proper instruction will assist (She is Blonde, Blue-eyed, and from Bama)
who assist me from time to time as needed.

:)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993

Post by eric4321 »

When I had the windshield installed in my 93 it took a good bit of pushing to get it to seat. The glass guy said part of the issue was going from a glue in to a press in. He used soapy water and wd40 to help it slide in and it still took.both of us to get it in. I pushed the glass from the center while he hit the outer edge with the palm of his hand.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I did the windshield in Posh Bunny myself, I didn't use any fluid to install it. I did however put the cord in the seal stating at the top and over laped it so the cord went from the top left corner, across the top of the glass to the top right corner, and followed all the way around the windshield passing the starting point and ending at the top right corner.

Just take your time and work the seal as you pull the cord out. It will fit in.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Well last my neighbor came over and we tackled the windshield. What I was doing wrong was trying to seat the bottom of the windshield instead of setting it in and then pulling string. Everything was going well and we had it half way in when as I was pounding on the outside my ring hit the windshield and cracked it :oops: Talk about a let down! The good news is , if there can be any, my neighbor works for Safelite and will get me a good discount on the windshield.

Oh, and my CV axles should be in today :D
84 Rabbit Convertible
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

84Vert wrote:Well last my neighbor came over and we tackled the windshield. What I was doing wrong was trying to seat the bottom of the windshield instead of setting it in and then pulling string. Everything was going well and we had it half way in when as I was pounding on the outside my ring hit the windshield and cracked it :oops: Talk about a let down! The good news is , if there can be any, my neighbor works for Safelite and will get me a good discount on the windshield.

Oh, and my CV axles should be in today :D
That turned out to be an application of O'Toole's Therum (Murphy was an optimist).

Glad you can get a new one.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Time for an update. CV Axles are here, heater thingy is here (to stop leak) new windshield on the way (got a super deal) need to order some front end bushings. Now just need to get to work on it.

But first I think our area needs a good dose of napalm, the no see-ums, sand fleas, sand gnats or what ever you want to call them are out in force right now.
84 Rabbit Convertible
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Sunday was a good working on Rabbit day. I got the new heater control thing installed so no more coolant leak! Got the drivers side axle almost completely apart, except when I went to get my 30mm socket I could not find it, so now I get to go buy a new one :lol: New tools are always a good thing! Pictures will follow.

While looking around the local junk yard this past weekend, I need a shifter boot. Every car i look in was an automatic :cry: Finally looking inside a Saab I see my next shifter boot, I take it out and it is in perfect shape, a nice leather shifter boot that is almost the exact same size as the one in the Rabbit. I get it home only to discover that I already got a shifter boot from a previous trip to the junk yard :banghead: Oh well now I have a spare :D
84 Rabbit Convertible
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

84Vert wrote:
While looking around the local junk yard this past weekend, I need a shifter boot. Every car i look in was an automatic :cry: Finally looking inside a Saab I see my next shifter boot, I take it out and it is in perfect shape, a nice leather shifter boot that is almost the exact same size as the one in the Rabbit. I get it home only to discover that I already got a shifter boot from a previous trip to the junk yard :banghead: Oh well now I have a spare :D
Always nice to have a spare. :D
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Picked up the new windshield Friday, now waiting on my neighbor to come down and help install it. $78 including tax, I am really happy with the price!

Started on the axles yesterday. Notice I said started :banghead: Got everything set up, put the socket on the nut, breaker bar on the socket, 3' metal pipe on the breaker bar and wala broke the breaker bar :D Now I get to buy a new one, that one was just a cheap Harbor Freight one anyhow.

I had been missing the 30mm socket I could not find it, so while talking to my son he says "Dad I borrowed that in 2004 or 2005 and never gave it back to you" So I got to buy another tool.
84 Rabbit Convertible
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Thanks for moving my thread. I hope to have updates this weekend. TS Andrea will be long gone by then
84 Rabbit Convertible