New in the forum, Cabrio owner since a while

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

garyst1981
What year is your cabby?: 2001
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

New in the forum, Cabrio owner since a while

Post by garyst1981 »

Hello guys, I just found this forum, looking for a freaking difficult part to find for my Cabrio.

I'm Gus, I'm from Mexico but I've been living in Pennsylvania for about 4 years now. I'm a fan of VW but most importantly I'm a fan of Cabrios and VR6s and mostly fan of those 2 together. My history starts with my first (yeah, I have more than 1) cabrio.

This is how I got it

Then started ricing it

and then during a big rain, it sucked up some water and boom! that was all for the 2.0L

Looked for a donor, I found a Jetta GLX in very good condition and the work started

After a while it was done

I didn't take the care to freshen up the vr6 and do some maint work while it was out and I paid the consequences, after a month a timing chain guide broke, the chain skipped a couple of theet and well

After a few months, found a new VR6 and started all over again, this time, rebuilding the thing completely

as you can see in that last photo, it had some body damage and stuff from being sitting for so long, it was time to give it some love

got a few parts
  • new halo headligths
  • carbon fiber hood
  • sound system
  • vf engineering motor mounts
  • mk5 style front bumper
  • stage 2 clutch
  • headers
  • glow gages
  • new set of wheels
and a whole body job

it finally came along like this

I was only able to enjoy it for a few months since I had to move here. I thought about bringing it but it was going to be too much effort, since it has like 3 different vins around, and no catalytic converter, whippers or other stuff that won't pass either thru customs or an inspection

After 4 years going down once a year and driving my cabrio for a month during the holidays I needed a daily driver here and I found this gem

Already vr6 swapped, and in good conditions.

This is it's current state

and this is the current state of my old one

What I did is part out my mexican cabrio and bring some of the stuff for my american cabrio, then I'll take the old parts and send them over to put together the mexican one and sell it to a friend that hopefully, will give it some love
garyst1981
What year is your cabby?: 2001
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: New in the forum, Cabrio owner since a while

Post by garyst1981 »

By the way here http://gustavorivera.com.mx/index.php/b ... -el-cavrio you can see the whole, complete build post