Brand new virgin cabriolet owner

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Ken
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Brand new virgin cabriolet owner

Post by Ken »

Hello my name is Ken. I just bought a 1988 cabriolet. I went through hell today with the title work. Got back to the car this evening and it won't start so here I am a member of this forum on my first day as a owner lol smh. The car was in storage for 5 years. It runs strong both engine and auto tranny. Yesterday around 30 mph engine would lose power so if I let off gas then pressed again it would gain back power. Then it had some starting issues yesterday. I figured these are electrical/vacuum/fuel issues and not mechanical so I bought it anyways. Well tonight it wouldn't even start so I could drive it home. It cranks over and even fires for a second then stops firing. I know the engine runs good. I know it gets fuel and spark at times and not at others. So is this common? And what is the checklist compiled by the group. I know you guys are experts by now. Any help is greatly appreciated
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Brand new virgin cabriolet owner

Post by Briano1234 »

Welcome to Cabbyhood.
A good couple of sites other than here that are good to know are:
http://www.cabby-info.com
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/

Sitting for 5 years, well I would first remove the timing cover on the cam, and verify that your timing is correct, as these are a non-interference engine, you can strip teeth off the belt, the engine spins and never fires.

If you have any cloth covered vacuum hoses replace them. The crafty little critters hate vacuum leaks hoses and injector seals are one of the biggies, including the Dip Stick tube.
You will see me rant about Grounds, so here is my first tip.
Replace your Battery to frame and frame to engine/tranny grounds, you can use 2 off the shelf cables from your parts store.

Loosing power, as in did you hear a Whine from the rear passenger side of the car when this was happening? As the 88 has 2 fuel pumps, one in-tank, and one external. The whine is usually from the main pump complaining that the in-tank isn't putting out.
There are different things in the fuel systems between the CIS and Digifant systems that causes additional issues.

On the CIS engines the Fuel pump Relay has higher than the Digifant failures, and a lot of folks carry a spare in the glove box.
One of those are loosing power, then it comes back...(cold solder joints in the relay) you can try this and see if it helps, Remove the fuel pump relay and use the Horn relay as a test, or Jumper it. (Warning, the fuel pump will run full time with key in).

I am not a CIS focused individual, but it could be that you have some restrictions in the flow others more knowledgeable than I will be along.

Don't use Fram/Generic/StoreBrand/Bosch oil filters, they cause other issues.... and 20W50 works really good, 10W40 does too.
A upper Radiator Card will do wonders for your cooling system... see Cabby-info on how to make them.

You don't own this car..... It owns you.
PS Love them wheels, as you are about the 3 person I have ever seen including myself that has them.....
There are a ton of how I do this and that's here, so we should have you covered.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thank you I will go over your information. How do I know if it's cis or digifant
Ken

Post by Ken »

I think I have CIS
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

90 and above are usually Digifant 1 (californicator only) or Digifant2 the other free 49States.
89 and below are usually one form of CIS or another....
So yes, you have CIS.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Ken

Post by Ken »

My transfer pump was not working. I took it off and fuel tank is full of rust and debri. It's probably 1/4-1/2 inch deep across bottom. I'm gonna take tank off and clean it out.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Be CAREFUL... To remove the tank, you have to drop or lower the rear axle assembly....
The Studs that hold that on can be a beatch and torque shear off if you use a breaker bar and socket.
Clean the Studs with a wire brush, and soak the nuts for a couple of days with PB-Blaster or the penetrant of your choice.
If you have Access to a AIR or even Battery Impact tool use that to lessen the torque shear.....

As you lower it you will strain your rear Brake hoses, it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace those suckers any way..They are avail at Napa and are cheap.
The SS upgraded hoses from Germanautoparts.com or others are really really nice improvements....

Take care and good luck, as you will need a couple of sets of jack stands, raise the body and use the Pinch welds to suspend the rear, and a set to support the lower axle, removing the tires loosens the weight.....

And since it is a new to you thing, remove the rear shocks from the top, as the bottom bolt which looks easy can be rusted in the rubber mount.
which will require you to cut the bolt out, or the shock off.... Here is a how do I remove the rear shocks DIY I did.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2578
Briano

Ken

Post by Ken »

A couple more pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ken

Post by Ken »

Update:
I haven't cleaned tank yet i had shoulder surgery and can only use one hand.i did replace motor on transfer pump and car runs now. its really hard to start cold and once started runs real rough until it suddenly fixes itself and idles up and smooth. It dies also while out driving but has started back up every time. I think the check valve on the main fuel pump needs replaced and is $40 or $105 for new pump with check valve. the valve holds pressure between main fuel pump and fuel distributor when motor is not running. I think this is contributing to initial start problems. The engine runs great mechanically and has its great moments which narrows problems to parts that automatically adjust through sensors and vacuums. I know the tank cleaning needs done first but i cant right away so i'm just trying to do diagnostic. i don't want to install parts before the tank cleaning but i have changed transfer pump motor and fuel filter it was full of rust. i have a mechanic looking at it friday morning. we went over it today and i showed him everything. it doesnt seem timed right so i went in for a timing and if you have any advice on timing that will help that would be appreciated. i plan to hang out while he's working on car. he wants to check fuel pressure and he said something was in the fuel distributor thats over the air filter. he says there's something in there to be looked at. Where is a good place to get parts both those who have the most and those who have hard to find? also i have 14 inch rims and have 185/60r14 tires. i want all terrain tread i found some 195/70r14 a/t do you think that size is ok? I need a back seat too lol
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

http://www.cabby-info.com had a bunch of how-to's and general diagnostic for the Cabriolet.
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/ has a ton of links and helpful how-do-I-do that's as well.

Cabby-info had a list of parts providers, Germanautoparts.com is good but charges out the butt for shipping.

Autohausaz.com is good
mk1autohaus on ebay is good for New Old Stock (NOS)
rockauto.com
partstrain.com
parts4vws.com
Partspalceinc.com
busdepot.com
rabbitparts.com
Napaonline.com (don't discount them they have a ton of stuff locally to me as well as can get it in.)

If you can wait, then VWheritage.com (uk) has a lot of nifty hard to find items.

vintagerubber.com

I know of heater valves leaking, and have a how to beef them up thread, as well as a Debris Guard for the hood vent, and keep your rain drains clean..
Prevents water from getting in to your cabin from the fresh air tray.

For tires see Cabby-info, I have never had 195's on my bunnies, but have had 185's and they can rub the inner fender on tight turns, so I suspect that 195's would do that as well.

Back Seat or Back seat cover......

If you haven't heard my Mantra, replace your Battery to Frame, and then frame to engine/transmission grounds....
Yep you can replace them with 2 off the shelf cables from your favorite parts place, but you should wait till your shoulder heals.....
as the frame horn is better gotten off from under the car as it sits to the rear and below the CIS air dizzy.

You may want to carry a spare fuel pump relay, as they tend to go out on CIS cars more frequently, and mimic the dies while driving, then cools off and will start again (due to cold solder joints in them.).
Briano

Ken

Post by Ken »

Thank you for the info I appreciate it. I had a mechanic diagnose it they said the fuel accumulator is bad and also a mechanism that controls cold start fuel mixture. Each part is over $300. It's been running most of time now without the parts yet. It still dies in traffic once in a while. I drove it a few hours on highway it seems to be getting stronger.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Fresh Gas will improve things with each tank, you can add Sea Foam engine treatment or cleaner to each tank, 1-2ounces, or MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) 3-4 ounces of that one, per tank and in a couple of tanks most of the Lacquered Fuel parts will start working more better. Shoot adding a half a can to the tank at first wouldn't hurt.

DO THIS OUT DOORS......
Go to the store and get a single valve aquarium unit, and some hose.
Start your car and get your car up to temp. Stop the engine.
Take a Vacuum Line off of the Throttle body plug the free end, connect some Aquarium hose to the port on the throttle body. Connect it to the valve. close the valve. Add hose to the valve and long enough to go to the bottom of the Sea Foam can.
Start your car.
slowly open the valve and EASY does it.... You will see alot of SMOKE out of your tail pipe, let it sip half a can......You may have to increase the idle by pulling on the throttle cable.
You have just cleaned your upper cylinder head.... close the Valve, allow the smoke to clear, then stop the engine and replace the vacuum hose you removed......

If you have cloth cover hoses for vacuum lines replace them. You can go to the parts store of your choosing and get 3.5 and 5.5mm hose by bulk and replace your hoses, you will be glad you did.

Yep some parts are spensive.
Try the fuel pumps on the Digifant..... usually 400 for both, thank god for the single pump perversion......(digifant only)...
Carry a spare Fuel Pump relay in your glove box, get familiar where it is located, they tend to go out more often on CIS than digi.
Cabby-Info.com has the correct part numbers that you need to know to get the proper one.

I would suspect that you need to run a few tanks through it with the additives, and then have the Duty cycle and timing set. You may be ok.
Get thee a Bentley Manual, read it, get to know
http://www.cabby-info.com
and
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/
as well as http://www.mikegabriel.net/vw/badhabitrabbit/
Briano

Ken

Post by Ken »

Thank you