My new '93 Cabby

New to the site? Stop in here and introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to the mad house.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

andrew1012
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

My new '93 Cabby

Post by andrew1012 »

I ran across a '93 Cabby last week and decided to buy it as a project for my boys and me since they will be driving in the next few years. The car is in pretty good, just needs some overdue TLC. We jumped on it this weekend doing a tune up and changing the valve cover gasket sicne it was leaking alot. When I started to put everything back I broke the brake booster. Luckily I work for a car dealership so I have one on its way. With the brake booster being broken, will it affect how the car runs? She fires right up but dies as soon as you take your foot off the gas. The previous owner said its always had this problem and nobody has been able to fix it. Its worse now since I broke the brake booster. The car is missing one trim molding on the passenger fender. Where can I find a replacement?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: My new '93 Cabby

Post by Briano1234 »

Well It is a big assed vacuum leak At the worst depending on how it broke.
Molding is found in the junk yards and on ebay. Some site ie: vwheritage.com Mk1autohaus, and rabbitparts.com may carry NOS sometimes, ebay and the classifieds here and on the Vortex and thesamba.com are the few sites that you can locate it from.

Pictures are nice to see.
Change all your vacuum hoses, and if the 7mm brass screw turns by hand then you have a vacuum leak on the o-ring. Count the turns that it takes to remove it, write that number down, take a run to a good hardware store and get a new one.

Timing on the Digifant 2 can be daunting as you have to get the car hot and then adjust the timing at 2250 rpm, but there is an easier method.
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/cabby/static-digi.html

Two good sites to know:
http://reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/
and Cabby-info.com.

You didn't say 5spd, 4spd, or Auto, and a General area of the country that you are in would be nice to know. as well as pictures.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
andrew1012
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: My new '93 Cabby

Post by andrew1012 »

Thanks for the info. It's an automatic and I live in SE North Carolina. Other than the molding, a rain tray is the only other part I need. It's complete and came from the original owner. I'm trying to get the complete history of the car but the gentleman that owned it doesn't remember alot about it. It orginally came from NY and I think it was stolen and then recovered. All of the vins have been removed and a new one was issued by NY DMV. There hasn't been any paintwork and is all original. I guess I'll never know!
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (62.09 KiB) Viewed 4866 times