Top not closing all the way.

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

jbdrumr
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Top not closing all the way.

Post by jbdrumr »

So I'm having an issue with the top not closing all the way. I've looked around for ways to adjust everything and still I'm still not able to get it to close all the way. One of the eccentrics is missing but I really don't think that's the issue. Any suggestions of where to look would be appreciated. I'm getting tired of shop vacing puddles of water out of the rear floor pan whenever it rains.

[img]<a%20href="http://s952.photobucket.com/user/jbdrum ... .jpg"/></a>[/img]

[img]<a%20href="http://s952.photobucket.com/user/jbdrum ... .jpg"/></a>[/img]
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Top not closing all the way.

Post by Briano1234 »

Looks like your rear windows are too high, and your top is not sealing correctly as they are acting as the fulcrum.

Try this:
Roll the rear windows down, open then reclose your top then roll the windows up.
Better/worse?

Always roll the rears down about 1/2 to 1 inch prior to closing the top.

2. Adjust your eccentrics as they could be causing the top from pulling itself forward.

Where are they?

Here is a top that was 1/2 to high at the front seal.

Adjusting the eccentrics fixed that and allowed the top to pull forward closing the gap at the rear window.

To adjust the rear windows you have to remove the 1/4 panel card, after removing the window crank(pop cover off 1 Phillips screw).
Take the "b"pillar seal off the belt retractor covers, pop the 7 or 8 nylon keepers out.
The stop is fairly easy to see once you have the card and the weather shield off.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jbdrumr
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by jbdrumr »

I was just coming back to fix the pictures, originally posted from my phone. Anywho, I always put the widows down before putting the top up as I thought that might be the problem from the beginning. The driver side eccentric is totally gone. I'll have to go out tonight and see where the passenger side is sitting at.

I've already got the 1/4 cards off. I'm going to be replacing the B pillar/rollbar seal and rear speakers in the next week or so. I'll look at the stops while I'm in there. I'll post updates as I dig further. :thumbup:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I forgot to add that the window where it attaches to the regulator can move up, and down if it is loose and or mal adjusted can make the window roll up cattywhompus as well. The stop is a little harder to see on the rear regulator than the front.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The other issue that could be is that your "J" hooks don't jay anymore. As you are latching the top, as you move the latch to the closed position, the J-hook when properly hooked into the Receiver, will pull the Frame forward and down.

I have seen bent receivers, and j-hooks that don't close or latch correctly as well. If you read the SAD top thread they had both of these issues as well as the eccentrics being out of whack.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3014
Briano