That pesky rear cable.

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

That pesky rear cable.

Post by Briano1234 »

Over the last few tops, I have found that the rear cable that I endorse is a tad longer than needed and you can't get it tight enough.
I have had to shim the cable by using a couple of large washer/nuts (a bit bigger diameter of the cable bolt to get the cable sufficiently tight.

I have also noticed, that the inner cable trays where the Cable enters and turns to the bolt retainer is too small to allow the cable to go in with out
binding in the slot.

This is because the original cable was devoid of a outer jacket, and thinner. The newer replacements are jacketed, and or thicker than the original OEM cables VW used.....

Never fear I have the fix..

Lay your cable in the tray then see how tight it is.... I have had to bend out the width of that slightly so the cable can easily fit in the trough.
Second thing I have done is to use axle grease in that trough, and on the bolt itself, it makes the judging of the tension better, and the cable sheaf doesn't bind catch and peel off.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: