New Rear Cable I endorse.

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

New Rear Cable I endorse.

Post by Briano1234 »

As of late I have had 1 report, and one first person encounter of this cable.
It wasn't pretty. The cable was too long. When you took all the slack out, the cable was still toooooooo long.
I had to shim the cable about 3/4 of an inch on both sides to get the cable tight. Now the Caveat is that the shim has to be wide enough to allow the cables non-screwed part through it.

I had a couple of old bushings from a puter that I worked on decades ago,... I re-used them for this purpose.

3/4 + 3/4 is about 1.5 inches of shim as it has to be on both sides equally.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Re: New Rear Cable I endorse.

Post by Briano1234 »

Email off to Topsonline..... May 9, 8:30am
Hey Guys,

Thought that you needed some feedback on one of your products.

CR597-STEE-CA-BL

I have installed tops for a side job.
The first cable that I got was fine no issues.
The last 2 that I have gotten had to be shimmed about 2 inches, that is a inch bushing on both sides so that I could tension the cable sufficiently.

One of the places that I endorse your product is: Then there is the VWvortex, and Rabbit owners club.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3012

Here is a Snapshot of the cable installed with the bushing.

That allowed me to get the cable tight to hold it in place, but it was a royal pain in the keister.... :)

Thought that I should let you know that the length is a little toooooo long on the cable, as the original was

I didn't measure it before hand, but here is a link were I discuss the cable length for those who want to make their own.
This cable came off of a 81 Cabriolet....
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2657

Thanks
Brian O'Connell....

Reply back
TopsOnline Customer Service <customerservice@topsonline.com>
May 9 (4 days ago) 5:30pm

to me
Thanks!
Vic
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Re: New Rear Cable I endorse.

Post by Briano1234 »

Found one of the issues with having to shim, it that not enough lubricant was used at the corners. The Seam and corners need Lubrication so that the Cable can move, I recently snapped a new cable because the stretching occurred between the corner and the bolt. The rear of the cable tray didn't draw in, as it was "Pinched" at the seams and corners.
Lessons learned and being passed on.

Also on the rear cable you need a good 6mm open end wrench to hold the cable from twisting as you tighten it., and the 11mm nut they are sending is really a 7/16 10-24 pitched American thread.

Will -rewrite the how-to, to show this.
Briano