Rear Window Help needed!

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kieferwabbit
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Rear Window Help needed!

Post by kieferwabbit »

Hi guys,

I just installed a new top on my 1980, but I did not have the benefit of removing the old one to tell me how everything should look. The previous owners took absolutely everything off of the top frame -- the window was wrapped in newspaper and a garbage bag in the trunk, and the hardware was in a gallon ziplock bag. They tossed the liner and inner liner, so all I have for now is the outer top keeping me dry.

The problem is that after I got the rear window installed, it constantly falls inward at the top. I am not sure if there are any straps I did not re-attach in the right location, or of I ran the wide straps the right way to their location farther up the frame where they obviously go, but nothing I have tried has been able to get the rear window to stay up... it just flops inward.

Help!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Rear Window Help needed!

Post by Briano1234 »

Ok.

The straps run from the rear window through the frame and attach at the 3rd bow from the rear.

These are all the pic that I have for the rear window straps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kdZDCnd ... re=related around the 23 minute mark. Sorry it is in french.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kieferwabbit

Post by kieferwabbit »

Okay, I see what I'm missing now.

The wide back straps that run next to the window are just hanging loose in the trunk, and the rubber straps that go from the main bow to the one second-to-rearmost bow are also just hanging loose. I also ran the central straps underneath that bow, which I should also remedy.

Getting those things screwed in right should have me all set, I think. No more Scirocco-like profile with the top up!

Thanks for the help. You seem to be the top guru!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

That rubber band is what forces the rear window down under the frame as you are closing... It is like a pre-load.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
kieferwabbit

Post by kieferwabbit »

No wonder I've had so much difficulty closing!

I still don't think this will fix the fact that it won't latch on the passenger side, but at least it will make folding and unfolding easier, in addition to making it open completely and stay open.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Latch issues are usually the Strut binding on the rod because it is bent at the end....
Try removing the strut at the bottom pivot..

I have also see the latch point get bent and the dog can get over it.

replacement struts can be ordered from mcmasters... in my how tos I have the part numbers for the struts and eyelets that you have to order.
Briano

Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

rear passenger latch and lower strut pivot.
rear rubber band attachnment
Briano