Swimming Pool infront seat? Dont even know how to swim GRR

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

cabbygal
What year is your cabby?: 1990
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Swimming Pool infront seat? Dont even know how to swim GRR

Post by cabbygal »

:rmad: Hello everyone - all of a sudden my water logged Cabbie is getting worse - Mechanic thought it was drain plugs we - emptied those - I get a huge mini swimming pool in front seat of the passenger side - I try to track where the water is coming from but am at a loss - The bottom door panel (where speaker unit is) has splashed up water but nowhere else on door?????

Any ideas .....I cant swim and fear i will drown in my own cabbie - JOKING :banghead:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Swimming Pool infront seat? Dont even know how to swim G

Post by Briano1234 »

All the links and issues I have found with leaking doors, missing plugs and tops in general are all in here.
Read the Where is my top leaking.
It will link to a sagging door, and replacing foam.
One of hte biggest issues that I see or hear of are the top frame seals that aren't positioned correctly to the windows.
They have a adjustment that if improperly set can cause the glass to not roll in to the seal.

See my how to install a top as it has tons of pictures as well.

where is my top leaking:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2655
another drippy knee fix
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2737

does your "a" pillar seal meet the door correctly.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2690

If your "a" pillar seal is shrunk, it is acting like a rain gutter allowing water in to the vent seal.
You have to extend it so that it goes over the vent.

Your top should fit like flat.

A shrunken gasket.

How I repaired it:
Clean the edge of your "A" pillar seal with Alcohol and a rag, or Brake-Kleen on a rag get it clean You may need to use a steel wool pad to get all the dead rubber off. You have to get a clean surface.

Cover the vent wing with Painters tape. Get the inside to the outside.

Close the door

Apply Black Ultra RTV (it is about the same color as the seal Not in the picture). Do it so that you have a tapered edge on the seal to
Over the door, if you get it on the door edge no biggie as you want a over hang. I built it up over a few days to get a good strong bead.

Allow it to set and fully cure, about a day and a half.

When you are ready to open the door using a sharp x-acto cut the new rubber a little long on the door frame to separate it.
After the door is opened Remove the tape and reclose the door. You can then trim it to look pretty but still have the edge over your finger seal.

These photos are a re-creation for you.... I have already had to do this repair.
It was after my door was straightened to the frame and I had a good seal on the window to the top.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
bfrey003
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by bfrey003 »

i know i have the drippy knee (dripping at each of the latches) and drippy foot (then from behind the dash above pedals) lol. we just had a really bad flood a few weeks ago so i gotta figure our what to do with the carpet. i dont care about the look of it, just gotta clean it and get rid of any mold
'91 Cabriolet Carat - stock (mostly)

Ben
cabbygal
What year is your cabby?: 1990

Post by cabbygal »

Thanks so much everyone very informative information :)