Convertible top fitment

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Mikeb52
What year is your cabby?: 1988
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Convertible top fitment

Post by Mikeb52 »

Hi all, glad to be a member.
I have an 88 cabby and a 90 Corrado G60 to keep me busy.

I just replaced the top on the cabby after following Briano and others walk throughs.
Great write ups for sure.

My issue, which was there before the redo as well is that my top does not fit tight to the front edge.
There is 3/8 or more gap between the top underedge and the mating windshield frame.
I adjusted the j hooks to just pull it locked but am at a loss as to why it's so far to the back.
The convertible frame was replaced before I got the car and all three side bolts and rear bolt by the rear seats are in place, eccentric set to lowest angle.
Untitled by mikeb52@rogers.com, on Flickr
Am I missing some adjustment somehow.?

Would very much like to get this in good nick and guttentight..
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Convertible top fitment

Post by Briano1234 »

Well if photobucket wasn't an ass.... on the rear frame mount, there are 4 bolts, 3 on the side and one at the rear. The rear is a finger that can allow the top frame to go a wee bit more forward if you bend it... Also the side mount bolts can rock about 1/4 to 1/8 inch. Try rolling down your windows, and undoing the struts to see if you get any more length.

Your j-hook isn't a hook any more. You might want to get new ones or bend those more closed..and it looks like it is a little mre extended than I am used to seeing.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Mikeb52

Post by Mikeb52 »

I am looking for new J hooks as you are right, they are bent. But that is due to the resistance in the hood. If I wind them in anymore they will snap.
I'm going to remove the struts and try to loosen said bolts and will update as to my results.
Thx for the suggestion.
Cheers.
Mikeb52

Post by Mikeb52 »

Well, unfortunately there was no improvement to be made by loosening the main 3+1 frame bolts on the sides to try and fit the top better along the front.
Next option and plan will be to remove the upper and rear bolts, both sides and try to pivot the whole frame forward a few mill's. If that worksI will dremel out the holes to re-accomodate the bolts.
Like I said in an earlier post, this was not the original top for the car and there is clearly some issues with fit as I am still quite far from the front edge when locked and there is just to much effort to lock her.
Overall, I'm pleased with my first top, and the overall facelift for fall. New clipper kit and bumpers turned out nice but I couldn't find the right blue for the touch up paint sadly..
Not that my daughter minds, she's very happy with her dad's efforts on her lil cabby.
Fresh clipper kit and top on my daughters 88 Cabby by mikeb52@rogers.com, on Flickr
Any suggestions are always appreciated.
Cheers all and thanks for an awesome fansite! :thumbup:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

On my blue cabby I was replacing the top and after 4 days of trying to get the kinks out of the frame... I had a Eureka moment. Gee I have a spare frame on my parts car that is good..... DOH....

When you fold the top how low does it go?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Mikeb52

Post by Mikeb52 »

It folds down quite flat. The locks engage to keep it down etc.
Well the old top did, on this frame, the new ones seems resistant to folding flat yet due to newness..
I was given the original frame but it's rotten, so I never considered using it.
Where can I get the J hooks as I want to replace them as well.
Cheers.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

J-hook can be bought off ebay, jbugs.com and cabrioworld. I would imagine that heritagevw has them as well.
Briano

Bofubum
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Bofubum »

Hey Briano,
Please help I just installed new vinyl top following your great posts. Now it does not shut.
There is two inches above the b pillar and it seems a little short up front also. I cannot latch at all.
I guess the top is just shrunk, it would close when the new top was not installed.
DO YOU have any ideas?

Thanks
Bofubum

Knoxville
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Bofubum wrote:Hey Briano,
Please help I just installed new vinyl top following your great posts. Now it does not shut.
There is two inches above the b pillar and it seems a little short up front also. I cannot latch at all.
I guess the top is just shrunk, it would close when the new top was not installed.
DO YOU have any ideas?

Thanks
If your eccentrics have moved or are loose that can be one cause.
If the top is cold then it may need to warm up and stretch.
You side cables if too short can cause this type of issue.
Try rolling down your rear windows about 2 inches and then see if the top can close.

Oh, I re-read your post. If your top is new, and you don't have a 75 to 80 degrees, then your top may not close, and that you need to stretch it.
I have had a similar issue. If you don't have the front edge so that the seam is flat an parallel to the windshield seal then your top is not pulled tight.
You have to really get the material up to temp to "stretch a new top".

When it is winter and I swap a top, I use a couple of quartz halogen work lights to get me garage up to 75-80... I have also trained the light on the top from about 4 or 5 feet away to soften the material too close and it can melt it... those lights can get hot........
Briano

Bofubum
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Bofubum »

I disconnected the side canes and it still would not shut, I also moved the eccentrics to the highest a away from the frame, I don't think they are meeting.

Thanks I will try to heat up the garage.

Also I forgot to mention I have not cut in the rear window yet. I thought it would be best to get it to close first, some others thought it might help to go ahead and cut the hole.
Bofubum

Knoxville
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Bofubum wrote:
Also I forgot to mention I have not cut in the rear window yet. I thought it would be best to get it to close first, some others thought it might help to go ahead and cut the hole.
You do that and you will never get it right, the top has to be stretched and tight prior to putting in the rear window.

Get it hot, then force it down. It will latch and stretch.
Briano