rear top cable problem

For the days when you don't want to be totally exposed. Get help here for the top.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

rear top cable problem

Post by eric4321 »

Ok so I decided to replace the top on my 93. I have read the write ups and all was going well until now. I am having trouble geting the rear of the top to "pop" into the cable tray. The sides look perfect but no matter how tite I got the rear cable the rear won't seat. I have tried vice grips which worked for the side and I tried using a wood shim to push it into place and I tried it by hand as well. Do I need to undo the sides and start over? Also I did trim the exeses material from the side.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: rear top cable problem

Post by Briano1234 »

The rear cable is a pain, but I have found a few tricks.

1. Trim all excess material on the back side of the top off (DO NOT CUT THE SEAM).

Why? because the extra material binds the top and you are trying to stuff 2 layers of vinyl in to the tray instead of one.

I have seen some previous installers widen the cable tray with a pry to expand it a wee bit. They insert the top then feed the cable and use clamps to hold it all in place.

Once it is in place, they use a block of wood and a hammer to close the tray tight by placing the wood over the top material and snacking the wood block.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by eric4321 »

Brian thanks for the adivice. I thought it was just the side that needed to be trimed but when I saw that diagram it made all sense to me. Thanks for the great write up. My top is all installed I just need to put the window in. By the way is anyone going to BAP this year? I just got my top done in the nick of time to make it.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

No, the baby daughter is getting Married, and all spare time, effort, and Monies are going to the impending Nuptials. :)

Soon one of the cabbies is going to be his problem... :)
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: