Axle question

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

bmwvwguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Axle question

Post by bmwvwguy »

Stupid question. And I dont like asking those BUT sometimes you just need clarification.

1991 cab. Automatic. I need new axles and I can only find one listing for either side. Are they the same for auto and manual? And if not where can I get auto ones?

Thanks guys!!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Axle question

Post by Briano1234 »

They are part numbered differently, and you need to know if you have 100mm or 90mm axles, as the 90ish Autos usually are 100mm, there have been tranny swaps that may have been done as it isn't that hard on a 90, and that you have to but change the differential cup.

Here is the funny thing, the 100mm axles only fit 100mm spindles, however, the 90mm axles will work in the 100mm spindles where as the 100mm axles won't work in the 90mm spindles.

Getting to know the ETKA https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/rabb ... brio/conv/

You can verify part numbers and get to know where VW listed things, like the radiator is in the engine part, and the cooling section is for the a/c, where as some of the a/c parts are really listed in the engine.

They should be the same both for gassers and automatics are 100mm usually, that is there is a left side and a right side, DO NOT BUY CARDONE axles I bought 1, the axle broke after 2 days. The free replacement lasted 2 weeks, and ruined the differential.

I only have AutoMatics, and when the Axles go I have a local rebuilder that I trust so I have them rebuilt.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
bmwvwguy

Post by bmwvwguy »

I'll take a look at etka. I wish I could find my copy. It disappeared. As for cardone crap, never. Last time I did I hit my house due to no brakes on a "new" master.

As for the 90/100 mm stuff, ive owned many a mk2 and those are both as well. I'll try and do some measurements and see whats up. Thanks!!!
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

bmwvwguy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:37 am I'll take a look at etka. I wish I could find my copy. It disappeared. As for cardone crap, never. Last time I did I hit my house due to no brakes on a "new" master.

Been there on that one, had 2 reman ones bad off the shelf for a Dodge I was working on. Only buy new, then again that isn't a guarantee either, don't get me started on the 4 bad alternators for one car off the shelf..... :)

Brokevw.com has the circumferential measures of the differential ends.
From that site.

A bit over 11" (11.13) and it is a 90mm CV/flange.
Just under 12.5" (12.36) and it is a 100mm CV/flange.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
bmwvwguy

Post by bmwvwguy »

Cool. Thank you!