Weird Noise in Drive train.

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Weird Noise in Drive train.

Post by Briano1234 »

Well, Last week the daughter said, "Dad, the car is making a funny noise, like humming."

So Saturday last I jack the car, and the wheel bearing on the driver side has play in it.. Ok Change the bearing. This morning I dutifully changed the bearing, and it was really rather pleasant. I mean, I found out that I had placed the dust shield on backasswards, so it curled over the rotor.. Fixed that too. Set all the Torques, lowered the car, and took it for a test drive, Still the hum when you get over 30-35 mph, then constant at lower or higher speeds and the noise gains speed with increased gas or slows by reduced gas..

Ok, Jack the car back up, no wheel wobble bearing GOOD, Hub was good when I changed the bearing.
But the noise is there....

I took the wheels off, and still the noise.
I listened to the Tranny, no noise, and the differential either, but if you take a Screw driver and listen to the strut/spindle area you can hear the noise, it is like a click, pop that turns in to more of a droning/humming sound. Oh, forgot to insert the lug bolts, and sheared off both Phillips... Dang it, ok, Left hand drill bits never-seize and new screws.
Lug Bolts, and still the noise.

I listened to every part of the engine/tranny, Using my Screwdriver as a Stethoscope.. I can hear the hum on either axle, My son Says it is stronger on the Passenger Side where as I am leaning to the drivers side.

It got me so buggered, that I placed a Text message on my new smarter-than-I-phone to none other that the Grand Pooh-Bah of this here place.

He quizzed me about SMS, No noise of grinding from anywhere on the tranny above or below.
So we chatted about this and that, when The Grand Pooh-Bah, said what I was thinking, drop one axle at a time to see if the noise goes away or continues... Dammedest thing I have seen as there is no click or pop on slow low sped turns to indicate that the outer is bad.

It doesn't matter if I jack the lower frame or not, I even listened to the Axles themselves as they were spinning, I can hear the noise, but I can't locate it. Yes both axles were re-manned by a local shop in 2008, so they have a few years on them..

Oh, Automatic.

and if you place the screwdriver next to the output shaft seal, the green cup, you can't hear it any better or worse....

So tomorrow, I spose I will drop an axle at a time. It is definitely on the drive train, and it is speed constant, all fluids are good...

Just though that I would write this up and keep posting back
Thanks William for keeping me honest.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Weird Noise in Drive train.

Post by Briano1234 »

Okay, I got the drives side off, and started the car and the passenger side didn't spin..... hmmmm limited slip, no weight on the car, no wheels and the passenger side never moved....

Oh well, got the drivers side off, and there is a little play in the outer bearing.... so I think I am going to replace it.
Shoot 42 dollars for a rebuilt from Buford,,,

CV joint Source in Buford, for the locals, rebuilds steering racks as well. I was taken on a tour of the shop and the are state of the art.
They Mic all the rods then will build them up with welding, followed by turning the welds down and smoothing the axles prior to installing new ends and boots.
Heck he even gave me new bolts and tie bars. 42.50, and I would put them on with confidence. They rebuilt my last pair in 2009.

I found the error of my ways, the heat shield that I had placed on the new down pipe fell off...that pipe baked the inner joint.
On a side note I decided to replace the pads on the front and one of the squeal springs was gone. Napa to the rescue 4 upper, and 4 lower rattle springs 2.85 for the set of 4 each, they only sell them in sets of 4 uppers or 4 lowers.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: