Stuck in Reverse

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Stuck in Reverse

Post by 84Vert »

Need a little help again. While moving the Rabbit around this morning it became stuck in reverse. It is a 5 spd. Any help is appreciated
84 Rabbit Convertible
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: Stuck in Reverse

Post by CalAltaDubber »

84Vert wrote:Need a little help again. While moving the Rabbit around this morning it became stuck in reverse. It is a 5 spd. Any help is appreciated
Ok. First thing I'd check would be all the shift connections.

Probably it's best if you explain what happened. That will give us more insite to the problem.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Ok, I put it in reverse to back it up a little but when I went to put it in first gear it would not come out of reverse. The shifter springs up and down but will not move it out of reverse and the shifter will not move as much as it should. I am hoping it is the linkage and will mess around with it some. The selector on the transmission will move side to side like from reverse to neutral but it will not pop out to get out of reverse
84 Rabbit Convertible
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

All of the shifter linkages seem free. I do need to go under it and just unhook it from the transmission to make sure. But I feel it is in the transmission. I did find one thing though. The rubber bushing that goes on the long shift rod right before all of the linkages it gone, it is just rotten and not in the right place anymore which allowes the shift tube to move all around
84 Rabbit Convertible
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

That one being gone can cause problems like you are having. They do rot out and fall away. You can try jamming a new bushing from a Mark II into there, or you can just buy a full replacement. I've had luck doing both, though the full replacement is easier to deal with but comes at a higher price.

Here's a link to the whole part that you need. Price is around $31 before shipping.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/productdisplay/122421
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Also, if all else fails, you can just pop the hood and manually put the car back into neutral by moving the shifting arms on the trans by hand. Make sure the car is off when you do this. Mentioned that to someone once and they for whatever reason though the car running was fine for doing that.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Calimus wrote:Also, if all else fails, you can just pop the hood and manually put the car back into neutral by moving the shifting arms on the trans by hand. Make sure the car is off when you do this. Mentioned that to someone once and they for whatever reason though the car running was fine for doing that.
I can move the lever side to side but not in and out. I spoke with Brian from Broke VW and he said the forks in the tranny may have slipped. But first I will unhook the linkage and try some more
84 Rabbit Convertible