sticky 1st gear/ cabby89

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

jimmy3fingers
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

sticky 1st gear/ cabby89

Post by jimmy3fingers »

my daughter just said once in awhile it's a little hard to slide the stick shift into 1st gear in her '89 5 spd. I told her it's not uncommon with any stick shift. any input ?? thanks jim
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: sticky 1st gear/ cabby89

Post by Briano1234 »

Yes, this should be in the Transmission area.
If you are rolling the car at any speed and try to shift in to first, you won't make it.
second Buy a shift linkage kit and replace them.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
jimmy3fingers
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by jimmy3fingers »

yes Briano......we already know this ! The car is at a stand still.......as in not moving when occaisionally the stick is hesitant to slide into 1st gear..........thanks jim
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

jimmy3fingers wrote:my daughter just said once in awhile it's a little hard to slide the stick shift into 1st gear in her '89 5 spd. I told her it's not uncommon with any stick shift. any input ?? thanks jim
Check the linkages and adjust, if need be: http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/Adjusti ... nkages.pdf . If they look worn out and/or if any other gears are having issues, replace them. Also, check the shifter; it's bearing assembly might be starting to wear out.
Briano1234 wrote:If you are rolling the car at any speed and try to shift in to first, you won't make it.
Wanna bet? :mrgreen: I can shift mine into first with it rolling at an ultra-slow speed... always been able to. It's done when you reach that second-is-slightly-too-high-and-I-can't-come-to-a-complete-stop moment. :wink: