linkage adjustment?

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kieferwabbit
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

linkage adjustment?

Post by kieferwabbit »

Hi guys,

This might not be something that's adjustable -- just a quirk, but I've got to ask.

The shifter on my 5 speed feels like it's just too far forward. To shift, I have to lean forward. I have the seat adjusted so that I'm a comfortable distance from the pedals and the steering wheel, and even with my short-leg-long-torso combination, it feels like I am too far from the shifter.

Can it be adjusted, or is this just something I'm going to have to live with?
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: linkage adjustment?

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well... Yes and No.

OK there is no real ajustment to the shifting linkage. But there is such a thing called a short shifter kit that does shorten up the movement of the shifter. I gather that thoose that have them installed, love em.

I haven't installed one in either of my cars, but I do agree that is quite a reach to get into 5th. It's just something I've gotten used to.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Ahhhhh the Short Shifter is FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.... the one from missing Linkz is Cheap (read COST EFFECTIVE) and works like a champ.
With the DIY weighted shift rod, it puts Zing in to shifting.

On a side note if you are single you don't want a short shifter, that way you have no excuse for grabbing your dates Leg on shifting into 5th. :D
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

CalAltaDubber wrote:Well... Yes and No.

OK there is no real ajustment to the shifting linkage. But there is such a thing called a short shifter kit that does shorten up the movement of the shifter. I gather that thoose that have them installed, love em.

I haven't installed one in either of my cars, but I do agree that is quite a reach to get into 5th. It's just something I've gotten used to.
whuchu talkin bout willis???

it is absolutely adjustable. it he has to reach super far forward for the top gears he needs to loosen the clamp and center the shifter then re tighten it. i also found an easier way to adjust the left to right than the bentley describes. the easiest way is to put the car in first gear then adjust the the linkage so the reverse lockout tab is just barely gapped from the lockout...