5 speed trans is leaking

Something grinding or sound like a box of pinball parts? Post here and get some help.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: 5 speed trans is leaking

Post by Briano1234 »

not I... I can't remember the last one I did.

www.brokevw.com see how Brian does it.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
eric4321
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by eric4321 »

Well time for an update on the progress on the Cabby. I found a way to install the push rod seal after I destroyed 3 of them. I was trying to drive them in with the trans on the bench and it was not working. I was able to source the seals local(car quest) and placed the tans 5th gear down in a Homer Depot bucket. Being able to drive the seal in from the top made all the difference. I got the car all back together and went for a drive Sunday. I had some issues finding 1st and 2nd but some linkage adjustment fixed that. I really like the Black Forrest Industries engine mounts. They install like a Prothane bushing (don't need a press to install) and they are good and stiff. I like the lw flywheel it gives better response and even with the 16v pressure plate the car is easy to get moving off the line. I am being gentle on the new clutch for at least the next 500 miles or so and then I will be able to run past 3000 rpm.
My Rabbit Rescue and Recovery Ranch
93 Cabriolet red. 5 speed
81 Rabbit 4 door auto bronze (project)
77 Rabbit 4 dr 4spd diesel
(Project next in line)
1987 Cabriolet parts car(may one day bring her back)
1993 Suburban green(used for Rabbit rescue)
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

Find a Pipe that is the same size as the seal and use that I would also suggest spraying it with wd40 or pb-blaster to pre-lube it.

I usually find a pvc pipe connector that is the same size that I am trying to mate and use that with a hammer... and tap tap tap tap tap......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy: