BAP 2009

Have a show or other VW related event, Announce it here.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: BAP 2009

Post by sixsracing »

I had three of them as daily drivers for over 14 years, my Dad still has my 87'. Never really had a problem with any of them. Did head gaskets in all of them at one point, water pump at the same time. Radiator in one. Never had a coolant related issue. Drivability was rock solid. Only had to tow one once when a fuel pump let go. I do not understand the reputation they got, completely undeserved from my experience. If any of you guys still have one and need support please let me know, I would be happy to walk through any issues.

Oh, the 80' thru late 84's were the best handlers. Upper and lower a-frames made a big difference.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
bbrown
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by bbrown »

gull wrote: Even the 1.8L I-4 would have been better than that plumber's nightmare boxer they put in there.
But you can't beat the way those boxer engines sound. :D I don't know much when it comes to Vanagons, but my college roommate had one for a while and he loved it. I do know that the Vanagon Syncro is pretty tough and would be a cool van to have as well since they will basically go anywhere you point the wheels.
~Buster

1986 VW Cabriolet 1.8 5 spd.

~__|__\__
[(O)__(O)]
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

bbrown wrote:But you can't beat the way those boxer engines sound. :D
There is something about them, isn't there? Boxers have a unique sound, maybe due to the unequal header lengths. At rallies I can always pick the Subarus out without looking, just from hearing the deep, throaty burble.

I find it sort of fascinating how different engine configurations have different exhaust sounds.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

sixsracing wrote:Vanagons are cool. Even if they are old. 8)

I already have had a westy vanagon as a lawn ornament for the past 4 years... probably be selling it now since the new vehicle can pull a small camper... was considering fixing it up with $ from selling the cabriolet but I think we might just pay off some credit with that.
Nick
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

When I sold my 91 Vanagon I asked L.i.M.B.O. to post it on their website. It sold in like three days for what I was asking. Don't kow whether they would do it for you but it wouldn't hurt to ask.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
gull
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by gull »

vw_nick wrote:I already have had a westy vanagon as a lawn ornament for the past 4 years... probably be selling it now since the new vehicle can pull a small camper... was considering fixing it up with $ from selling the cabriolet but I think we might just pay off some credit with that.
Diesel or gas? If it's a diesel you might want to post it on the diesel-vanagon Yahoo group. Lots of people there who might be interested.
VW fan who fell to the Honda side of the force
vw_nick

Post by vw_nick »

1.9 gas. if it was diesel it would be running and driving.

needs; engine swap or - complete rebuild including cyl. heads.. cylinders are fair though one has some pitting from rust. original fuel system operational condition unknown, fuel was varnished so likely needs injectors rebuilt at minimum, needs fuel pump & gas tank, brake lines replaced (old) brake calipers rebuilt, rear wheel cylinders rebuilt, master cylinder rebuilt, pop top canvas, pop top seals, sky-lite, cv joints should be repacked and boots replaced, front shifter ball assembly rebuilt, tires... though I do have some MB wheels & tires from a SUV for it.
Nick