dash removal

Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

bfrey003
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

dash removal

Post by bfrey003 »

i know it was on cabbyinfo but the link is no longer there. does anyone have a write up on the dash removal so i can replace my light switch?

thx
'91 Cabriolet Carat - stock (mostly)

Ben
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Re: dash removal

Post by CalAltaDubber »

You don't need to remove the dash to replace the headlight switch.

First with the thumb of your left hand, press on the left side of the bezel where the head light switch is mounted. The right side of the bezel should pop out of the main bezel.
Rotate the switch bezel out.

Using a small common screwdriver (very small) pry the switch out of the panel. By examining the new switch, you will get a good idea where you need to pry the switch out.

Then simply remove the switch from the connector.

The wiring harness to the switch is short, so the frustration factor may climb a point.

With the switch removed, it is also a good time to replace the light bulb for the switch. It will just pull straight out of the connector.

To replace , plug the switch into the connector, press the switch into the hole and replace the bezel.

If you need more access, you can remove the driver side vent, but I don't think it will help.

I am away from home this week, but if you can wait till Sunday, I can post a couple of pictures for you.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
bfrey003

Post by bfrey003 »

well that's good to know. thanks!

Ben
bfrey003

Post by bfrey003 »

just tried what you said and you were right on the mark. came out fairly easily. did have to go thru the vent to get it back in the socket, but that was easy too. thanks!

Ben
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

bfrey003 wrote:i know it was on cabbyinfo but the link is no longer there. does anyone have a write up on the dash removal so i can replace my light switch?

thx
Pssst... http://www.cabby-info.com/interior.htm first link in the DIY Guide section on the left. :wink:

For future reference: All How-To/DIY Guides that were on the old "How-To" page are on their respective technical pages under the "DIY Guides" heading on the left side of those pages. So, if you're looking for how to change the oil, for example, it'll be on the Maintenance page. :beer:
bfrey003

Post by bfrey003 »

I see it, i read it wrong. I was looking at that page but in the wrong spot..... Thanks for the info :)

Ben