Top release lever, how do I get it off?

Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

85vwcabby
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Top release lever, how do I get it off?

Post by 85vwcabby »

Well, to start off, I have a 1985 Cabriolet that wants a newer top... this summer I stumbled over a wrecked 87 Cabby that was in mint condition with only 90,000 miles before the accident. Picked it up for 350 bucks. I already have pulled 90% of the parts off of it.

However, I am at a stalemate with those little pleces of plastic that are on the top release lever... I need to get those off so I can remove the bolster trim. I have tried just about everything short of tying a rope around one of them and yanking it out with the Suburban. I would really appreciate suggestions on how to get those things off. If you think I may have tried it, post anyway.

Thanks in advance, and keep the topless bunny on the road!! :beer:
1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet "Bunny Rabbit"
1.8 JH, 5 Speed 020, waiting on mods...
Have an engine out of a 87, will rebuild that into a 250-300 bhp and also rebuild the trans and put a LSD in... :D Can't say when I'll get around to that though.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Top release lever, how do I get it off?

Post by Briano1234 »

They Pry off, that is use a block of wood, and a flat blade. They are on with little finger clips unless some one glued them on.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
85vwcabby

Post by 85vwcabby »

They must be glued on then. :banghead:

Well, I'll try that out soon. (gonna get the 85 out today, then I'll go try to pry those things off)

Thanks Brian. :beer:
1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet "Bunny Rabbit"
1.8 JH, 5 Speed 020, waiting on mods...
Have an engine out of a 87, will rebuild that into a 250-300 bhp and also rebuild the trans and put a LSD in... :D Can't say when I'll get around to that though.
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual

Post by PDX Cabby »

ahh, by the rear seat.

they've got a metal clip on them, and they're a PITA!! Channellocks worked for me
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...