Swapping Seats

Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Swapping Seats

Post by 84Vert »

I know I have read about it, there was a post somewhere about swapping seats. I have an 84 Rabbit Conv and now am the proud owner of the seats from a 90 Rabbit conv. What will I neew to do to make them fit.

Thanks
84 Rabbit Convertible
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by kamzcab86 »

All 1980-1993 Cabriolets (Rabbit 'verts) can swap seats with each other; they're all direct fits. Simply take the old ones out and put the new ones in. :beer:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

84Vert wrote:I know I have read about it, there was a post somewhere about swapping seats. I have an 84 Rabbit Conv and now am the proud owner of the seats from a 90 Rabbit conv. What will I neew to do to make them fit.

Thanks
I think mounting points should be the same. They should fit right in. The only diffrences would be for any electrics.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

what electrics? heated seats?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:what electrics? heated seats?
Yup.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

CalAltaDubber wrote: I think mounting points should be the same. They should fit right in. The only diffrences would be for any electrics.
No "should" about it, Phil; all 1980-1993 Cabriolets can swap seats with zero modifications -- plug and play. Even the electrics, if the seats even happen to have them (USA didn't get heated seats until the '90s), won't be an issue with installation; you'd simply leave the harnesses disconnected. :wink:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

kamzcab86 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote: I think mounting points should be the same. They should fit right in. The only diffrences would be for any electrics.
No "should" about it, Phil; all 1980-1993 Cabriolets can swap seats with zero modifications -- plug and play. Even the electrics, if the seats even happen to have them (USA didn't get heated seats until the '90s), won't be an issue with installation; you'd simply leave the harnesses disconnected. :wink:
As usual you are absolutly correct.

I didn't realize the US models didn't have the heated seat option until the last couple of years of production. Canadian models had the option as early as 1985 (I'm still kicking my self for not ordering them when I bought the '87).

But that's all I was infering. If the replacment seats do have the heating pads installed, the pads will have to go disconnected. Even then it wouldn't take too much to install wiring to activate them. The hard part is to find the controller switch for the dash.

I would still say should fit, simply because the last of thes cars was built 18 years ago. Although they were built the same way in the first place, it is not a good practice to assume that they are still the same. For example the seats in the donor car may be aftermarket models and the mounts may have been modified to make them fit. That is assuming that the seats in his car are stock.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984

Post by 84Vert »

Thanks for the information. Can't wait to get it running
84 Rabbit Convertible
rabbitinfife
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by rabbitinfife »

I don't remember on cabbys but on everything else rabbit jettas etc the seat release (seat slide lever) is on the opposite side of the seat from 83-84 down the lever faces the door 83- 84 up the lever faces the tunnel were your shifter is mounted. I believe 83 is the cutoff year for this or mid 83

So this dilema makes swapping seats from early to to later cars a bit of a bear

anyone chime in on this that has had this problem, and what you did to correct the problem

:thumbup:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

rabbitinfife wrote:I don't remember on cabbys but on everything else rabbit jettas etc the seat release (seat slide lever) is on the opposite side of the seat from 83-84 down the lever faces the door 83- 84 up the lever faces the tunnel were your shifter is mounted. I believe 83 is the cutoff year for this or mid 83

So this dilema makes swapping seats from early to to later cars a bit of a bear

anyone chime in on this that has had this problem, and what you did to correct the problem

:thumbup:
It shouldn't be an issue, Since Cabby's are all MK I they are all the same, (Provided thay haven't been modified). MK II appeared in the '83/84 timeframe.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

I want to say there was a difference in mine, but I don't recall it being an issue at all.... been a long time
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...