Swapping Seats

Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Post Reply
84Vert
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Avon Park, Fl

Swapping Seats

Post by 84Vert » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:07 pm

I know I have read about it, there was a post somewhere about swapping seats. I have an 84 Rabbit Conv and now am the proud owner of the seats from a 90 Rabbit conv. What will I neew to do to make them fit.

Thanks
84 Rabbit Convertible

User avatar
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:54 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1986
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by kamzcab86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:45 pm

All 1980-1993 Cabriolets (Rabbit 'verts) can swap seats with each other; they're all direct fits. Simply take the old ones out and put the new ones in. :beer:

User avatar
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
Posts: 2012
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by CalAltaDubber » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:46 pm

84Vert wrote:I know I have read about it, there was a post somewhere about swapping seats. I have an 84 Rabbit Conv and now am the proud owner of the seats from a 90 Rabbit conv. What will I neew to do to make them fit.

Thanks
I think mounting points should be the same. They should fit right in. The only diffrences would be for any electrics.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image

User avatar
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
Posts: 4064
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:45 am
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No
Location: Duluth, Ga
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by Briano1234 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 am

what electrics? heated seats?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:

User avatar
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
Posts: 2012
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by CalAltaDubber » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:18 am

Briano1234 wrote:what electrics? heated seats?
Yup.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image

User avatar
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:54 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1986
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by kamzcab86 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 am

CalAltaDubber wrote: I think mounting points should be the same. They should fit right in. The only diffrences would be for any electrics.
No "should" about it, Phil; all 1980-1993 Cabriolets can swap seats with zero modifications -- plug and play. Even the electrics, if the seats even happen to have them (USA didn't get heated seats until the '90s), won't be an issue with installation; you'd simply leave the harnesses disconnected. :wink:

User avatar
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
Posts: 2012
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by CalAltaDubber » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm

kamzcab86 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote: I think mounting points should be the same. They should fit right in. The only diffrences would be for any electrics.
No "should" about it, Phil; all 1980-1993 Cabriolets can swap seats with zero modifications -- plug and play. Even the electrics, if the seats even happen to have them (USA didn't get heated seats until the '90s), won't be an issue with installation; you'd simply leave the harnesses disconnected. :wink:
As usual you are absolutly correct.

I didn't realize the US models didn't have the heated seat option until the last couple of years of production. Canadian models had the option as early as 1985 (I'm still kicking my self for not ordering them when I bought the '87).

But that's all I was infering. If the replacment seats do have the heating pads installed, the pads will have to go disconnected. Even then it wouldn't take too much to install wiring to activate them. The hard part is to find the controller switch for the dash.

I would still say should fit, simply because the last of thes cars was built 18 years ago. Although they were built the same way in the first place, it is not a good practice to assume that they are still the same. For example the seats in the donor car may be aftermarket models and the mounts may have been modified to make them fit. That is assuming that the seats in his car are stock.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image

84Vert
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:03 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Avon Park, Fl

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by 84Vert » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks for the information. Can't wait to get it running
84 Rabbit Convertible

rabbitinfife
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:58 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Tacoma, Wa

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by rabbitinfife » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't remember on cabbys but on everything else rabbit jettas etc the seat release (seat slide lever) is on the opposite side of the seat from 83-84 down the lever faces the door 83- 84 up the lever faces the tunnel were your shifter is mounted. I believe 83 is the cutoff year for this or mid 83

So this dilema makes swapping seats from early to to later cars a bit of a bear

anyone chime in on this that has had this problem, and what you did to correct the problem

:thumbup:

User avatar
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
Posts: 2012
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:10 pm
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by CalAltaDubber » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:53 pm

rabbitinfife wrote:I don't remember on cabbys but on everything else rabbit jettas etc the seat release (seat slide lever) is on the opposite side of the seat from 83-84 down the lever faces the door 83- 84 up the lever faces the tunnel were your shifter is mounted. I believe 83 is the cutoff year for this or mid 83

So this dilema makes swapping seats from early to to later cars a bit of a bear

anyone chime in on this that has had this problem, and what you did to correct the problem

:thumbup:
It shouldn't be an issue, Since Cabby's are all MK I they are all the same, (Provided thay haven't been modified). MK II appeared in the '83/84 timeframe.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image

User avatar
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:51 am
What year is your cabby?: 1985
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Swapping Seats

Post by PDX Cabby » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:49 pm

I want to say there was a difference in mine, but I don't recall it being an issue at all.... been a long time
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...

Post Reply