rear spekers

Mom always said it's what is on the inside that counts

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

rb0095
What year is your cabby?: 1980
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: rear spekers

Post by rb0095 »

Briano1234 wrote:No, on the head unit is says 20watts that is the max power that the head unit is going to put out to the speaker, or that is the maximum input that you are going to "give" to the amp...
I have a Kenwood unit, it says max output power is 50W x 4,
then it also says "Full bandwidth Power (at less than 1% THD)" is 22W x 4

I'm guessing the "Full bandwidth Power" is the same thing as continuous power that is being put out to the speakers. Correct me if I am wrong.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

rb0095 wrote: Next Question,
When I get my rear speakers I will also be getting an amp, from what it sounds like based on what I have been told thus far, for better sound quality I will want to amp the front speakers too. With the continuous power rating for my front speakers (20W) this would mean I could only get a amp that is rated for 20W if I didn't want to blow out the front speakers too quickly, is that right?

So if I want to have more sound I should also upgrade my front speakers. Or is the stereo good enough for the front and I should just amp the rear speakers and then use the fader on the stereo to get a good balance?
It is best to make sure that your speakers can handle the Peak Power output. This will first sound better, because the speakers will be operating well within their designed range of operation. They will aso not distort the sound on the ocasions where you decide to "crank" the volume. Finally, being able to handle the power, you won't blow them.

The last part of your questions is where personel preference and resources (money) come into play. You might find that installing an amp for just the rears is fine. Then again it might not be adaquate for your needs. The nice thing about these components, is you can always add a second amp for the front later.

I would suggest that if you decide to go this route to "pre-wire" for the amp when you do your initial installation. That way when you do decide to add the second amp., it's just "Plug and Play".
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote:Having been in the electronics business for over 30 years (I'm a certified Technician/Technologist), I do think I know a thing or two about this.
Well Golly Gee, I can agree... Was starting to type something similar and got distracted....
Same as having the cable company tell me that "my DB's" were wrong I asked whats a DB, and he tried to blow proverbial smoke up my arse with Techno speak.... Gotta love the military and how they drilled electronics and wave propagation into you.
I nailed his ass.................
Brian, can't let you have all the fun. :D

I just love taking it to a hockey puck salesman when they start that crap.

So true about the military, They sure do teach electronis well!
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
rb0095
What year is your cabby?: 1980

Post by rb0095 »

A few days ago I finally put some rear speakers in the car. I decided just to try some speakers just by themselves with no amp. I went with 6x8 speakers and am amazed at the difference it has made! :D

I don't need to turn up the volume as much anymore, it's very nice. However, there still seems to be one thing missing....a good bass sound. So my next addition to my sound system will be a sub-woofer.

Now normally the trunk is a good place for a sub, but I notice in my car that when it rains some water does get into the trunk area....I'm not sure where the water is getting in, but I know it's not much. With that said, would putting a sub in the trunk be a bad idea?