Got the car back from the recall work

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Got the car back from the recall work

Post by Calimus »

Picked the car up from the dealer today. Right off the bat, found the car wouldn't stay running even after it warmed up. A thought nagged me about that and I'll get to it in a sec. Also found that the brakes didn't work for crap and I'm pretty sure I know why that happened too. However, the damn thing doesn't leak gas anymore!!!!!! And that was all I was concerned about.

Let the wife drive it to work where we swapped out and I drove the bunny home. Once home I needed to hook up the speedo cable since the dealer was nice enough to put a new gear and retaining clip on it for us. They prollie would have hooked the cable to the cluster as well, but the way I had it, it looks as though it already is and so they prollie thought it was.

So out comes the dash face, radio and some other crap. Got the speedo hooked in and then figured since I've got all this torn apart I might as well look into why the vents don't work for $hit. 2 totally rotten vac lines spoke up and those were promptly replaced. Put the dash back together and tested. Massive ammounts of air flow where it should be made me feel good.

Next on the list, make the car stay running. We with the tank leaking, that means that fuel gets out, but air gets in. These cars need somewhat of a vacuume in the tank for things to work right. So since I dind't have that, to make the car run before, I had to richen up the mix pretty bad. Now with the tank fixed, she's getting too much fuel. Tone down the mix a hair, adjust the idle screw out to let more air in, whammo! A car that idles. Now for those damn brakes.

The dealer said they would replace the brake lines cause they always seem to break them when the drop the rear end. Knowing that this happened and that the lines were in place, I'm pretty sure someone forgot to bleed them, or tried to use one of those one-man bleeder deals which doesn't work all that well on these cars. I'm not going to worry about this too much, bleeding the lines myself produced better braking then that car has seen since we owned it.

So lets see the list:

Working speedo - Check
Tank that hold gas - Check
Brakes that work - Check
Air vents that work correctly - Check
Vac leak's all gone - Check
Car stays running - Check
Put Upper strut bar back on - Check
realign shifter - Check

What am I forgetting.....oh yea, put the new rims on......CHECK

Car is all back together and I've taken it for a few spins. Put about 20miles on it and she's running great. Can't wait as Cristine should be home any minute and she doesn't know that all of this has taken place. She still thinks that the car won't stop, won't stay running, vents won't work..ect. Wish I had a camcorder to catch her reaction when I tell her to take the car for a spin and she has everything working right down to heat.

So it's been a full day for me and the cabby. Hopefully this will earn the car a name change from "Crabby cabby or Pretty Piece of $hit" which is what she has been calling it for the last 8 months. I'll make sure she posts whatever she's going to call it now on this thread.

As for me, I think I'm gonna find something to eat and go to bed, I'm friggin tired.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

speaking of vents, do you know why my middle 2 don't put out anything? my vents are strange. defrost works great, my drivers and passanger vents (near the doors) blow outside air, and the middle 2 do nothing. any idea why?
-=(chuck)=-
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

chances are it's the vac lines. They control where the air goes. It's a tight fit, but you can get your hands in there to replace the lines. I did it today. It's not that bad, just expect some paper style cuts on the fingers and wrist trying to fit your paws into the right places.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

HURRRRAH on getting the cabby back from the dealership, sorry ya missed the snow lol, It was blowing so hard it sprung my screen door on the front.

Isn't it great to work on a car all day? I Put new struts and front brakes on my van. Will do the rear next week, along with the tie-rods and ball joints.

As for the middle vents, it is either the vac lines or the servo....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

the guy at the dealership said his mom called and had snow today...I thought they were smoking Saturday crack!!
LOL I guess it's true then :D
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

Woohoo! The Cab is fixed; congrats! 8)

theonlychuck wrote:speaking of vents, do you know why my middle 2 don't put out anything? my vents are strange. defrost works great, my drivers and passanger vents (near the doors) blow outside air, and the middle 2 do nothing. any idea why?
Center vent/defrost servo is shot thereby keeping the flap in defrost mode (one flap operates both defrost and the center vent). You'll need to rip the dash apart to replace it. Instructions can be found here: http://rbylsma.home.comcast.net/cabriolet/index.html .
BigDaddy90Cabby
Exploited Staff Member

Post by BigDaddy90Cabby »

it works great now.. now I just have to make mine really leak so I can get a free tank!!
Jimmy
1990 Cabby
Corpus Christi, TX

http://www.cardomain.com/id/bigdaddyjimmyjam
"That's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny!"