MK1 & A1

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

VWnoob
Perpetual Noob
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

MK1 & A1

Post by VWnoob »

I am looking around different sites and magazines and keep seeing MK*.
What is the MK* schema?
Is it like A1?
What is the difference?

Can someone elaborate on this for me?

Thanks

Jim
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Yes the terms MK I and A1 mean the same thing and are often interchanged. They are the designation for which generation water cooled VWs are.

Cabriolets are a MK I (or A1) while the newer Cabrio is a MK III (or A3) The New Beetle is a MK IV (A4)

Some models like the Jetta run through out the whole range, while more specialty models like the Cabriolet only exist in one generation.

Currently all brand new VWs being sold in North America are MK IV (A4) with the first MK V (A5) being introduced this spring.

Air cooled VWs are a little different. All bugs ate Type I, the Bus (including single and double cab pick ups) are Type II while the Notch Back and Square Back (Passat in Germany, Dasher in the US) are Type III.

MK I cars include:

Polo (in Europe);
Golf (Rabbit in North America), Including the Cabriolet and Pick-up (Caddy) and GTI;
Jetta;
Sirocco.

MK II Cars include:

Polo (In Europe)
Golf including GTI;
Jetta;
Sirocco;
Passat.

MK III Cars include:

Polo (in Europe)
Golf/GTI;
Jetta;
Passat;
Corado;
Cabrio.

MK IV Cars include:

Lupo (In Europe);
Polo (in Europe);
Golf/GTI;
Bora (Jetta in North America);
Passat;
New Beetle.

I have learned that a 4 door MK I Golf (called the Citygolf) and the MK I Caddy (Rabbit pick-up) are still in production in South Africa.

Does this help?
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I can't believe you forgot a car in that listing. :evil:

Actually, it's the one car that kinds screws with the whole MK naming convention. Not to mention I own one, heh.

The Scirocco.

The first rendition of the Scirocco from 74'-81' was built on the A1 chasis and is called the MK1 Scirocco

However, the Scirocco II built from 82'-92' was also built on the A1 chasis but is called the MKII Scirocco.

I think that completes the list. If not, I'm sure PDX is just waiting to pounce on us and make us all look like very bad VW owners. :P
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

CalAltaDubber wrote: Does this help?
Cal, that helps big time.
I was looking through "The Golf" euro magazine and didnt see any Rabbits or Cabriolets just MK's....

So then it is safe to say that ALL MK1 and A1 parts will fit my 86 Cabby.......right?

Thanks again!

Jim
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Calimus wrote:I can't believe you forgot a car in that listing. :evil:

Actually, it's the one car that kinds screws with the whole MK naming convention. Not to mention I own one, heh.

The Scirocco.

The first rendition of the Scirocco from 74'-81' was built on the A1 chasis and is called the MK1 Scirocco

However, the Scirocco II built from 82'-92' was also built on the A1 chasis but is called the MKII Scirocco.

I think that completes the list. If not, I'm sure PDX is just waiting to pounce on us and make us all look like very bad VW owners. :P
I got it, I just mispelled Sirocco I have them listed in MK I and MK II
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

VWnoob wrote:
CalAltaDubber wrote: Does this help?
Cal, that helps big time.
I was looking through "The Golf" euro magazine and didnt see any Rabbits or Cabriolets just MK's....

So then it is safe to say that ALL MK1 and A1 parts will fit my 86 Cabby.......right?

Thanks again!

Jim
I wouldn't say all, but 90% wouldn't be too far off.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Not to confuse anything but the A1 is the chassis, the MK (pronound mark) is the model. The designation mark-MK-is not necessarily interchangeable with the platform.
Oh and not all A1 parts will go on a Cabby, or fit all A1's. Most, but not all. Calimus' Scirocco is a good example....otherwise I'd be getting a lot more hand-me-down parts :P
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
VWnoob
Perpetual Noob

Post by VWnoob »

So how will I know what will fit my car?
Looking through the Golf magazine, it also shows Golf I. Will these parts fit my cabby?

Will all A1 Cabby parts fit my cabby? (besides engine parts of couse...)

Jim
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

The Mk1 cabriolet is something of a frankenstein. Most Mk1 parts will fit Cabby's, but not all.

For example:

Front suspension parts are almost all the same, but you have early Mk1 cars with separate caliper brackets and later Cabriolets with brackets permanently mounted to the steering knuckle. Sway bars with different diameters and balljoints with different stud diameters.

Rear suspension is almost all the same but the rear shocks have different part numbers, very similar design though and will most likely work.

Exhaust systems can be mixed and matched by paying close attention to the front pipes and cats.

Dash pieces for the most part can't be swapped, but if you swap the whole dash it will work.

The list goes on and on, best method is to see what will fit by experimenting, or post a question up and one of us will most likely have tried it before.

Hope this helps.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I woldn't go as far as to call the Cabriolet a Frankenstein. I think it is important to point out that the Cabriolet was designed and built by Karmann for Volkswagen. The design is based on the MK I Golf. To stiffen the frame (because of the absents of a roof) three steel supports have bee added to the body, they are located under the dash, behind the rear seat and the roll bar.

Because the car is heavier than a regular MKI Golf (Rabbit) some subtile differences are required in the suspension. (i.e. diffrent shocks). As for the common parts, they are the same. Dash boards for example, from any MK I will fit any MK I. The MK I Jetta has the same dashboard as the Cabriolet.

Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche all share the same design therory in that an existing component will work, this will cost less to design, thereby keeping the overall design costs down.

As for the diffrence between A1 and MK I, VW tells me they are interchangable terms, The only excption being the MK II Sirocco. It was built on an A1 frame ( the first of the A2s had not been developed).

The short answer to the question is yes, most MK I parts will bolt right on to your Cabriolet.

Naturally, MK I Golf doors won't fit the Cabriolet, but the hood and fenders will.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image