Removing weight

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Removing weight

Post by sixsracing »

I don't seem to be taking any off my own frame so I figure I'll take it off the Cabby. :-) I removed the cruise control and the condenser Friday night. I had to do the thermostat anyway so I figured while the anti-freeze is out of it I would pull the radiator and get the condenser too. I removed all the plumbing and the reciever drier while I was at it. I can't believe how much difference a little weight makes, the car feels quicker side to side. Next I need to pull the throttle body and polish it up inside, in the cold weather the secondaries stick and I pull 4,000 RPM everywhere. It's kinda distracting at stop lights.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

I pulled the throttle body last night and gave it a good cleaning in and out. When I pulled the intake boot there was water sitting on the bottom of the throttle body housing up against the secondary butterfly. I'm wondering if this could be freezing and causing my problem,? Anyway, I found some nasty sludge and junk in the boot so I cleaned that out real good too. Then I decided the breather could use the same treatment and before long I decided to remove the valve cover also, so that I could flush the screen inside as well. As per usual, the parts store had given me the wrong gasket for the valve cover so I had to make do. Does anybody have the VW part # for the rubber gasket for these cars? I hate cork with a passion. All this seemed to have worked because I gave the thing a pretty good flogging on the way to work and had no sudden acceleration syndrome happening.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

i just happen to have one sitting in my Rocco wanting to go in...

vw part # 051 103 483 A

94 Jetta is what i always ask for... this is the reinforced rubber VC gasket, not the flimsy G60 rubber gasket...

i like to clean things up a bit more with hex head (allen) bolts when i install these...
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Does that one have the reducing washers that make you use 4mm bolts? I has one last night and needed to remove 8 copper rings to fit it over the studs. Now the holes are too big and I'm afraid it will shift and leak. I believe my valve cover is 6mm bolts.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

never heard of that
this the only one i've ever used and always pick up M6x1.5 allen bolts to replace the studs (M6 i know is right... pitch might be wrong)
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy

Post by sixsracing »

Thanks, I'll pick one of those up just in case this one fails.
98 Beetle, red
Cogito Ergo Zoom