Update on the wifes cabby

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Update on the wifes cabby

Post by Calimus »

Just so that you guy's don't get to thinking that I never do anything anymore.... A little update.

I finally ordered tires for those great oldskool rims that we picked up. I ordered at set of Yokohama AVS ES100's in 195-50-15. Took them down to my fav tire shop and got them mounted and balanced. The looks too sweet and I'll get some pics of them later in the day.

I've also gotten in the H&R springs and the shocks/struts but ran into and issue with the damn retaining nut on the struts. Going to try and take them by a suspension shop and get them to remove them since I don't have the right damn tool. Anyone know where to get the right damn spanner wrench or what it's even called? It's the socket/wrench/whatever the hell that removes that damn screw-in cap that holds the strut cartridge in place. After 15 years of being in the same place, they damn sure arn't coming off with a pair a big ass pump pliers.

Also on the list is a totaly rebuilt 4k tranny + bolt kit to replace the damn AUG tranny with shot reverse thats currently in the car. Getting a hell of a deal on the 4k that I just can't pass up since it's prollie gonna cost me more to have the AUG rebuilt.

So, that just about sums it up. If all goes well, I might have the car fully functional by the end of this coming week so that the wife can go for a spin on Christmas day.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

update. The suspension is finished adn I found that the new rims don't fit the car. :x

They are et 25 and not 38 like they should be, fair enough, some spacers can take care of that. However, the damn hub isn't big enough either, so I'll have to have the rims machined so that they stay hub-centric. All in all, not too bad, at least the hard part is done and there is a low bunneh in the garage. Which I did take for a spin today after adjusting the alignment as best I could to make it somewhat driveable. The car no longer feels like a marshmellow on the bumps but somehow isn't as hard as my rocco either. It's a nice mix, I think the wife is gonna love it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Yup, she is now a low bunny. Not totally dropped, as we both want her to be functional on these always-under-construction streets around here, but she looks great.
I am looking forward to when the whole package is complete and despite the urge to post up pics now, I'm gonna wait until everything is done before taking her out for photo ops.
Since we got a little bit of nice Spring-time weather over the past couple days, I have been fantasizing about upcoming VW shows...I truly cannot wait till it is really Spring.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

aww, come on! post up some in-progress pics, i wanna see how low it is!
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

to be honest, I didn't take any pics while I did the suspension. I ment to, but I got so wrapped up in getting it done that I forgot. However, I will take some pics once I get a chance.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

I will take some pics once I get a chance.
still waiting on pics...... :P

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Man, you folks are worse then my mother about staying on my arse. Ok, here is the deal. Tmorrow (Saturday) I will take pics. I'm saying this because I have to go and pickup a new tranny for the bunny anyway so I might as well take some picks while I'm at it.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

Man, you folks are worse then my mother about staying on my arse
and clean your room too!

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Ok, before anyone else gets on my ass, OSHA requires that I install safty rails. So....now that the PSA is over with.

I took the pics, have them on the pc, but rather then resize and upload them, I put a new clutch in my truck. I'll shove the pics up tomorrow when I get home from work.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Ok, here they are, pics.

And here is what she will be getting as soon as I get a chance. 4K tranny, completely rebuilt soup to nuts + bolt kit.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

Ok, here they are, pics.
'bout time...... :)

lookin real good!! i like that rolling shot. now you need to get them rims on :thumbup:

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Pretty car, I still want a set of those early GTI wheels, every time they come up I either miss them or don't have the money.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Those new rims are going to take some work. Turns out they were made for a honda so they arn't quite right. Looks like I'll need 15mm spacers and I'll also need to widen out the center hub about 1mm. Since 15mm spacers are about $80 a pair, it's gonna be a little while longer before they go on. But damnit, they are going on :twisted:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Time to update this thread a bit. Tomorrow I should receive a clutch, 2qt's of Redline MT90, 2 15mm hubcentric spacers and 8 lug bolts to accomodate the 15mm spacers. This basicly means that it's tranny time for the Cabby. I'm hoping to start working on the cabby sometime Saturday. So the camera will be up as always.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Welp, I got all the stuff I listed. Dropped the tired 9a out of the cabby and stopped. Need to pick up some tools before I get any deeper and I ran into another issue.

The wife actually noticed that the hubs on the new (4k) tranny where the cv-axles bolt on are smaller then what was on the current 9a tranny. So now I have to swap those as well, but question is, how?

I haven't had a chance to look at the bently just yet (going to try to tonight) but is it as simple as undoing a bolt on eatch one (under the little bottle cap type seal) and swapping them out, or is there some greater evil lurking below?

I'm hoping it's not too troublesome as I'd like to get this car back on the road with all gears working within the next two weeks.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C