Start/No start

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Start/No start

Post by sixsracing »

So I decide I can get all of my kid's stuff in her Jetta for the 3 1/2 hour trek to college and I have this great idea, take the Cabriolet instead of the Vanagon, top down cruising is so much better right? It poured so hard I was wet for two days AAAAAARGH! Anyway, I moved the Vanagon out from in front of the garage on Friday so I could put our luggage in the Cabby, the van started and ran perfect just like it always does. So I go to take it on Sunday and it turns a quarter turn and stops, then nothing, not even a click. Go through all the diagnostics, power to the solenoid, power to the starter etc., everything checks out. Put it on the lift and remove starter, no big deal. The field lead from the solenoid to inside the starter simply rusted away, gone. Where you gonna get a starter for a Vanagon on a Sunday in Maine? Nowhere! I wrapped a piece of solid copper wire around the stub sticking out from the starter and around what was left of the eyelet and soldered the puppy back together with a propane torch. Good as new. Now my dilemma is, should I bother buying a rebuilt starter or just wait and see if this one lasts?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

i would get the new starter and then wait for the old one to break. that way if it goes out on a sunday again you'll have it as a spare.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

That's what my Dad had said as well. I used to have a fresh rebuilt sitting on the shelf but I used it 2 years ago when this happened. I would really like to just spend the money on a Bosch but I just don't have it right now. Wouldn't everyone want an extra of everything?
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom