Long weekend

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Long weekend

Post by sixsracing »

My daughter broke the latch on the left front door of the Jetta on Thursday so I plunked the $119.00 down at the dealer because it was the only one I could get for the weekend (ouch) Replaced that and then went after the exhaust buzz that's been bothering me since I installed the cat back system. Sure enough, the system had shifted and was up against the floor boards and resonating a nice little tune into the cabin, had to cut about 3/4" off the center muffler and swap the muffler mounts front to rear and everything hangs as it should. Then I played with my son's XR80, it's had a drivability issue since I got it and I just haven't had the time, took a fuel sample and didn't like what I smelled or saw so I drained it and gave it some fresh stuff, BINGO!, kids been riding it all weekend and loves me again. Now if I can just keep it from breaking up at high rpm I'll be ecstatic. Move on to the Vanagon about 9:30 Sunday night to do the clutch, took about 1 1/2 hours to drop the tranny and get the clutch and flywheel out. The rear main was so stuck I had to use three different methods to even budge it, disc was contaminated, front tranny mount was broken, t/o bearing was noisy any and all could have contributed to my clutch chatter but it's gone now. Now I have a real bad vibration/rumble coming from somewhere, I put the transmission mount back together with sheet metal screws for lack of a new one and I'm hoping my problem stems from that, but if that isn't it I'm gonna pull the thing again and find out what went wrong. Sorry for the long post, but it was a long weekend :-)
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Yep, the sheet metal screw went through the outer shell and into the aluminum and created a booming resonance. I took the mount apart last night and removed the offending screw, no more noise. Except for the little voice in my head saying over and over again, DUMMY
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Well, we've all had weekends like that, however, at least you have been sucessfull in your endevors.

I haven't been able to do much of anything for the last 5 weeks since my job has been kicking my ass and having me in at all kinds of hours.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C