is there a difference in convertable tops?

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

theonlychuck
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

is there a difference in convertable tops?

Post by theonlychuck »

not sure where to post this, but i was wondering if there's a big difference in the quality of vinyl tops for the price. i've seen them online from between $150 or so to $220 on jcwhitney. is there that much of a difference in quality in the cheaper tops? keep in mind i just finished my freshman year at college so i don't have a whole lot of money. i need a new top though because someone cut a foot long hole in it to steal my cds and ash tray (had $4 in change in it). so i took the locks off so he couldn't just pop the lock again since i had two 10" subs and an amp in the backseat. well a few months later he tried it again, but since he couldn't open the door he tried to climb through the window. a cop saw him and circled the block but he took off and got away. i didn't realize they would fit in my trunk if i popped out the back dash and dropped them straight in there until a couple weeks ago. sorry about the long story, figured my first post on here should have a little meat on it. right now my cabby (89 convertable as you may have guessed), is white/white, but i'm planning on buying a black top this summer. once i get the new top on i'll have some pics for ya.
-=(chuck)=-
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I can't tell you for sure what the corellation might be but there are definately ugly tops and better tops. I have to assume that a lot of the cheap tops are going to give you the rumpled look verses the stretched tight installed properly look. There are some good links from PDX Cabby that reference top replacement as well as brands that might come in handy. This is the first convertible I have ever owned and I will be in need of a top soon myself. Who has replaced one and where did they get it? By the way, welcome to the forum.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
fuzzie

Post by fuzzie »

I've done a little research into this....the best price I found was at http://www.cabrioworld.com. I've also heard nothing but good about their service.
Unfortunately, being in Canada it will be easier for me to buy the top from a local VW specialty shop ( Concept 1 ) who deals with Haartz if I remember correctly. If there are any problems with a top you have to ship it back and that becomes a hastle with the boarder.

Jeff
1984 Rabbit Convertable named Be Be. Topless is the only way her be!
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

thanks for the site, i live in illinois so i don't have the country boundry you have, and the price including shipping is only $152.59. Does anyone know if they are easy to install yourself? i remember comming across a site that said it was easy to install, but i guess if you know what your doing basic car work is "easy" to an extent. if all goes well i might be buying one when i get my next paycheck.
-=(chuck)=-
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I have not done one but I have read about it, easy is not the way anybody has described it. Figure on a day or two and buy some cables from the dealer. Oh, and the guy writing the article mentioned something about a six pack or two.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

Sorry, I have been away all weekend, but hope I am not too late to add my .02 cents.
JC Whitney is sketchy at best. I've heard both good and bad things about their quality and service, but I would not rely on them. As for their tops, if the ones you see are pinpoint vinyl I would recomend you stay away from it. It looks cheap and is cheap. It will not last as long as pebble grain.
As was written above, http://www.cabrioworld.com cannot be beat when it comes to quality, prices and service-they are awesome.
If you need instructions for the instal, I can get them for you. It's a job best done with two people.
let me know if you need anything.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

instructions would be great, thanks. i have a buddy comming home from college in a week that knows a bit about cars and will help me so it being a 2 person job is cool. thanks again.
-=(chuck)=-
kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by kuklaki »

theonlychuck wrote:instructions would be great
You've got mail 8)
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
theonlychuck

Post by theonlychuck »

thanks for the mail, i can't wait until i get paid so i can buy it =] i just got a loan for my girl to get a 97 dodge neon. i don't particularly care for neons, but she fell in love with it and it was cheap enough--and she's paying for it, but i have good credit so it's easier for me to get a loan. the plus on that note is the neon already has a cd player so i'm going to grab the one she was going to put in her prizm (before she wrecked it) since my cd player started smoking last week. it's hard to put that smoke back in =/
-=(chuck)=-