Asking for Opinions

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

84Vert
What year is your cabby?: 1984
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Asking for Opinions

Post by 84Vert »

Ok here it is, not that the Rabbit is running eventually I will be having it painted and putting on a net top frame and top. So the question is, put on the new frame and top before painting or after. We will be changing color so I am thinking remove top and frame, paint it then replace the frame and top. What are your thoughts
84 Rabbit Convertible
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Asking for Opinions

Post by Briano1234 »

Well I would put it on after.... You can take the frame off easily, well it takes 2 folks to do it, as it is heavy after you get the screws and fru-fru removed to get to the bolts screws, pivots and fingers and straps, collapse the frame and use a good strong cord or strap to keep it closed as if it opens on you as you remove it, it isn't fun or pretty.

Having it removed will alert you to issues on your cable tray that may need to be addressed as in Rust, and rot, and getting it painted (the rain tray) is just another of those little things that won't be noticed if your new top doesn't fit as well as the old..... It is better to address the cable tray before paint than after.

www.cabby-info.com has a how do I remove the frame or frame swap thread.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Thanks Brian, that is what I was thinking
84 Rabbit Convertible
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

I agree with Brian. It only makes sense that having it out of the way during painting will help the final product.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
marius12
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by marius12 »

What they said. Please don't forget to post some pictures once you're done. Would love to see the result.
84Vert

Post by 84Vert »

Will do. We are having a garage sale next weekend, sooooo hopefully the carport will be empty and thee Rabbit can go into it's new home and I can resume working on it
84 Rabbit Convertible