I hate water pump leaks.

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

I hate water pump leaks.

Post by Briano1234 »

For the last couple of months I have had a coolant leak on the cabby, that I couldn't trace....UV light no sign of leak under the car.........
Finally I got it fingerd out.....

Started the car after it was shut off and the PS belt started to squeal (or was it the alternator)... Dry roads, and car on slight incline nose up.
The only way the squeal could happen is from the water pump..... Damn, and to think the one in there is only 8 years old.

I hate the ones that only drip when running and spray inside the pulley and is such a fine mist you can't see it.....even with a uv light....
ARGH.......
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: I hate water pump leaks.

Post by CalAltaDubber »

That's just your luck Brian
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I did find a water pump locally avail from Autozone. They have a separate company that they can order from MIS, MSA.....
They had a metal impeller version, and it was 19 bucks, so I ordered 2. :) You have to get them to look it up from the other company's web site.

Figured that the Blue Bunny's would be crapping out as it is about the same age.
Just got through replacing the timing belt and front seals on my Pathfinder... That was a really flaky timing set up.
(get the marks about lined up. then mark your marks, replace the belt and count the teeth between the left and right cam, and the right cam and the crank (specific count for teeth) button it up and good to go..... I said WTF????????) but sure enough that was it....

Now on to the water pumps... and top, and then a good wash coat of wax and I may sell the green one.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Man, I'm really not looking forward to how many leaks spring up when I awaken Crabby Cabby from her Multi-year slumber soon.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I was reminded that Never-Seize is your friemd.
Changed a leaking water pump, and I am reminded why you should take it out as an assembly.
You can do it from the top of the car, no need to get under the car. The one power steering pivot bolt can be removed from the top.
You can loosen all your hoses off the pump from above, and when you break the 2 13mm that hold the pump on after removing the a/c bracket
All the water drains out nicely and you don't get douched... Oh, and replacing the t-stat is way easier when you have the housing out.

I needed a bolt... so I tried to take one off my spare housing using a 10mm 1/4 drive socket.

Which leads me to my best friend Never-Seize all bolts.

On the housing that I had on my car, I had Never-seized all the bolts and they all came out with a 6pt 10mm 1/4 drive and no, snapped or stripped bolts, and no impact needed.....
Briano

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well I'm happy to report both my Cabbys made it through the winter with out any major issues.
The biggest pain this year was the place where I had been storing the cars was expropriated to make way for a new road, so only Topless Bunny got to sit in the garage for the winter. Posh Bunny sat outside with a brand new car cover.

The only leak appears to be from Topless Bunny.
I see drops of Prestone on the garage floor.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Could be just a loose hose clamp,,,, Cold can do that ya know.
Briano