Too long

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Too long

Post by sixsracing »

Have you ever let a noise/vibration go so long that you forgot what the car was like before you heard it? I can't remember how long it's been since I first heard the whump-whump of the "tire" going bad. I replaced both front wheel bearings, the left hub that was bad when I bought the cabby, and just for good measure did rotors, pads and hardware at the same time. It's like a new car. Made a screw type press out of a couple of sockets and a piece of threaded rod from my strut compressor, sucked the hubs right into the bearings pretty slick, thereby saving my alignment and press time.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

not a noise but when i bought my cabby it had a high idle 1500rpm
never deviated from that either
so, i didn't ever thing much of it, especially since i wasn't spending much time with it idling

about a year later i was having this on-throttle hesitation. was getting really bad so i started taking a look at things. Came down to replacing the injector orings. bam! problem solved, no more on-throttle hesitation, and, whoa, it idles at 950rpm now.

actually, just remembered another thing...
i used to have a heatshild rattle from my cat. converter. i actually LIKED the rattle because it didn't rattle till 5200RPM and then just for a moment. It would rattle a second time at 5900RPM. Was like an audible shift light
i loved it
but
now since i'm catless, i don't get that rattle anymore
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

I don't have any rattles in my Vanagon but I'm usually driving it with my wife in the passenger seat, when I taught her how to drive a standard she really couldn't judge when to shift, so I told her to shift at 3,000. Ever since then if she sees me shift at higher RPM's she gives me a little "you told me to shift at 3,000... yadayadayada. So I guess I have an audible shift light too. Now that I'm thinking about, maybe I do have a rattle after all. LOL
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...