Every other VW site is talking about it, so here we go

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Every other VW site is talking about it, so here we go

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Everyone has heard about the VW emissions scandal. If you haven't you must be living under a rock.

Anyhow looks like my great TDI is one of the 11 Million affected cars (world wide only about 100 thousand in Canada).

So far I have only got information from the media (and I have determined that a lot of that is just hearsay). I contacted VW Canada, and they will only say that I will be informed by letter when all the facts are known and a fix has been authorized.

To no surprise, there is a law firm offering a class action suit. But they have very little information, only how to join the suit.

Seems most other owners I've talked to, don't want any changes to their cars and will ignore any recall for the issue. That is unless they can make the car maintain its performance while reducing Nox emissions.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Every other VW site is talking about it, so here we go

Post by Briano1234 »

On one of the sites, I mean Friday they announced, Monday there was a troller adverting for the class action law suit, but there hasn't been a suit so how can you class action anything.....

Then how much difference are we talking about 10 mpg, or the differences in ppm on the emissions.
And why did it take the EPA this long? I smell whistle blower....
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Well Brian, There isn't much actual information out there.

At least VW Canada has started an information section on their webpage. but like everything else so far it is short on detail. At least they are reporting that something is going to happen. They even say they are not aware of the scope of any "fix".

As for any class action, I think I will wait and see where this is all going.

In the meantime, I still love the diesel!
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

A) Don't have a care in the world about "Dieselgate", even if I owned a TDI. I'm quite disappointed in VW for sure, but this whole thing being blown into a bigger scandal than the GM ignition switch debacle and airbags that blow out projectiles is... :rolleyes: .

B) A school with some auto engineering facility tested 3 diesels over the last 2 years or so: Jetta TDI, Passat TDI, and a BMW X3 (or whatever that little SUV is called, which has to conform to different standards than passenger cars BTW). They did not test any other diesel vehicles :screwy: , which makes me very suspect of, like Brian said, a whistleblower.

C) A Washington law firm has filed a class action suit and is taking scorned TDI owners on as "clients". Greedy scumbags, all of them. Lawyers are only out for a potential major windfall, while the pissed off peons will get taken for a ride. How about sucking it up and waiting to see if Volkswagen does right by its customers first? :banghead:

D) Rumor has it, that state/local governments will ban registration renewals here in the USA until the cars are fixed. Ergo, VW's fix is going to be two-fold: One is to fix the law-breaking software so that the cars can at least be registered, the other is to replace and/or install new hardware (such as urea tanks) if they find the software fix adversely affects performance. Their other option is to, of course, buy back all of the affected cars and send them to the scrapyard, which is what a lot of folks are crying for on the Internet (if any one of those whiny idiots claimed to have bought their TDI solely for environmental reasons, they're a bunch of overzealous hypocrites!). I'm sure VAG is looking at all the options and will come up with a solution in due time; people just have to be patient.

VW's screw-up is going to cost them dearly, both in dollars and in customers. However, I, for one, am still itching to get a new GTI... so, Dieselgate hasn't made my love for VW go down the toilet in the least. :mrgreen:
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I got a settlement from the class action lawsuit from Sylvania for false adverting the Silver stars.

60 million sold x $20.00 = 120,000,000.00 Sylvania pocketed.

Settlement for false advert.
6 original litigants. 25,000 each.
Respondents in the case (those that responded to the suit, I was mailed it via "pepboys" sold the information to the Lawyers on who purchased them among other autostores. Total cost to me was nothing. But I do own 5 cars worth of those lights.... 5x2x20=100.00 my actual cost of ownership.
Claim paid to me 11.38 cents. One claim per applicant, not for each bulb owned. Only those that filed a claim or received a post card are eligible.

So the end is that the Lawyer who started this and the 6 people that he got to join are getting the most.
I am sure to know that Hell isn't even half full of Lawyers.

Funny thought in UK they call Lawyers Solicitors. In America you can get arrested for Soliciting MMMM what is the difference?
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hey Kamz, you are right on, I totally agree with your post.
At this point the Canadian class action has no data. It appears to just be there to make lawyers rich.

What makes me wonder are the pick up trucks that ROLL COAL, and pour that crap into the atmosphere.
At 70,000 km the tail pipes on my car have NO soot and are absolutely clean.
Owners of affected cars here are not willing to have any changes to their cars that will negatively affect performance.
It is my understanding that this is part of what VW has to consider.
In any event, I'll keep you folks informed.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Hey, I actually received an email from VW Canada yesterday, to inform me that my wagon is one of the affected cars.
There wasn't a lot of information, but another apology, a statement that VW Canada is working with Environmnt Canada, the US EPA and other agencies to develope an appropriate repair and that I will be contacted again when they are ready to start the recall.

In the meantime, I'm surprised that these cars are still selling at about the same price as before on Kijiji and Craig's List.

Goes to show you can't believe what you read in the press. Not that they have been accurate, rather I find more hit and miss.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Not a lot to report here. I got my $1,000 credit from VW. However, nobody has any kind of technical update. The service manager at my local dealer did mention that the fix must also have the car perform to the specifications that were advertised when I bought the car.
Sounds like it is going to be a fairly large job. Maybe to the point where VW will set up regional facilities where affected cars will be shipped in order to do the required modification.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

Not sure how it will work out up in the GWN, but down here in the states I'm not counting on there being a fix. VW has pretty much said that the cars can't be retro fitted with the addblue. What that means, who knows for sure.

Lots of chatter about there being a buyback. If the EPA sticks to their guns and VAG can't fix the issue, I don't see another option. I feel here in the states that what will happen is that they will force a buyback by not allowing registrations to be renewed. Again, all just speculation.

We will all have to wait and see what happens. Kuklai certainly isn't happy about the possibility of giving up her A3, but then with this past weeks announcement that her car also has the damned Takata airbag, she's warming up to the idea of something else.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

What sucks in reality that major Manufacturers are stuck for the Airbags when the TAKATA took the monies and then closed up prior discovery.
I really believe that the Board and CEO of Takata should be Jailed.
Briano

Calimus
Grand High PooBah
What year is your cabby?: 1989

Post by Calimus »

I fully agree Brian.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C