The Beast Lives!!!

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

The Beast Lives!!!

Post by kuklaki »

Well, for the most part anyways. Calimus called in the big guns and got the girl running. Tomorrow I'll be enjoying 80 degree weather and running all over town topless 8)
I'll let him take all the glory and tell ya about how much this car is a big pain in the patootie. It still needs some work, but for now will get me around.
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by 1lowcab »

good deal! glad she's running right. wish i could go topless. i'm going to be doing a little work on the diesel tomorrow, i'm going to tint the taillights red, debadge the hatch and paint the grill black. i also have some lowering springs coming. :)
i still don't know what i'm going to do with the bigbutt bumpers.
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

well, none of that happend. my wife got mad at me for spending to much time with the cars today, so i didn't get much done. :x
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

hehe, well, it happens. There is always next weekend I guess. Your wife needs to learn to work on these, or at least be your drink/tool caddy so you two can spend "quality time" together...working on the dubs, of course :P
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

1lowcab wrote:good deal! glad she's running right.
Oh, and let me clarify, she isnt running right. She's just running. It's enough that i was able to have a lot of fun driving around today. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain the next two days. My fault, really. I washed two cars today.
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

runs, but not right... humm... still having timing problems??
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

it acts like timing, but it's not. Checked, double checked, triple checked and then did it all over again.

Basicly, there is a miss in the firing, you can feel it and hear it. It stays present all the way past 3k rpms. Checked compression, got good readings, 160 - 155 - 160 - 156. But we have to turn the fuel mix way rich to get the car to run. It's really odd, had my old man up here the other night trying to figure things out. Got it a bit better than what I had it, but not too much. It's a pain to initially keep it running when you start it, but so long as you keep the gas on a bit and let it warm up for about 5~7min she'll run and drive fine for the most part.

Might be something with the FI but it's hard to tell right now. I have spares of all the FI stuff but I'm wondering if it might be the distributor (the one thing I don't have a spare of). I replaced the rotor and cap, but it didn't help. So it's kinda like being at square one, but it's driveable. Matter of fact, she just took off in it! :D
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

pull the plugs
make sure they look OK
i'd bet one is whiter than rice or blacker than the nigh
that'll be either no fuel or no spark

otherwise
i've got a spare CIS dizzy sitting here next to my bed

but pull the plugs first, they can tell a lot of stories... if one is white, then its lean, and you'll wanna look at the injectors, if its black, then its ritch and you wanna look at the plug and ignition...
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

The black plug could also mean the injector is stuck open and dumping fuel. They run pretty good that way once they're warm. You can also narrow it down to which cylinder it is by pulling the wires off one at a time at the RPM that it misses the most at. When you pull a wire off and the motor sounds the same, you found your cylinder. Brand new plugs can be bad also, doesn't happen often but it has happened to me.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

We checked firing of the plugs, they are all firing (used an inductive timing light for the test). I'm going to have to get new plugs as I just re-used the ones that were in the engine. They had only been in the engine for about 2 months before she had the accident, but they've sat since august so who knows. I figure new plugs with a bit of running may tell me the tale I need in order to figure out whats up. I also have the injectors from the car she totaled so I might switch them out after I clean them up and get new O-rings on them. Or I could just order new ones, I haven't made my mind up on that.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Don't replace the injectors, just test the spray pattern and pulsation. The more parts you swap out the harder it is to diagnose, you always have that lingering doubt as to whether the part you put in is any good, also, if you save old parts like I do and you just replace things, you don't know if what's on the shelf is any good. (Spark plugs of course don't count)
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom