So close....

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

kuklaki
Admin Type Person
What year is your cabby?: 1989

So close....

Post by kuklaki »

After working for four days straight, our wonderful Lacky to the Admin got the Cabby put back together after the swap. It starts.
There is still a bit of fine tuning to do, and we are awaiting a part that had to be ordered, but it will not be too long till the pain in the arse is abck on the road.
There is a ticking noise, which has me a bit worried. And of course it is a bit irradic at idle, there are a few hose leaks....aww hell, there is still a lot to be done. BUT IT STARTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

edit: oh yeah, was not able to get out that speedometer cable. I'm buying a new one since we pretty much stretched the pish out of it and broke the sheathing, and I am sure it will not work. For this, I am going to bring it in to our mechanic to figure out how to fix it to save some sanity. :banghead:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
Calimus
Grand High PooBah
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Post by Calimus »

Ok, well she runs, but real crappy right now. I'm pretty sure that I'm 2-3 teeth off on the cam, will double check sometime this week when my body doesn't complain about every movement I make.

I did take some pics of the early progress but couldn'[t do much more cause the batteries in the digi-cam finally crapped out. I'm going to pick some more up today and take some finished product pics though and I'll post it all up tonight.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby
The Living Bentley Manual
What year is your cabby?: 1985

Post by PDX Cabby »

nice work
might wanna let that tranny warm up a bit and try to pull the speedo cable then... i know it helped for me...

as for the ticking, its too be expected. Gotta give the lifters a chance to pump back up after sitting so long, sometimes takes more than 30 minutes to get going.. no worries there. But, a bottle of marvel might help...

congrats!
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
sixsracing
Forum Niceguy
What year is your cabby?: 1991

Post by sixsracing »

Not to throw another wrench in the works but, depending on how many teeth you are off, and what lift the camshaft is, that ticking could be something more serious. I'm with PDX, it's probably just a lifter or two but I would hate to here about the pistons and valves introducing themselves to one another. I wouldn't worry about the amount of time that it took to accomplish this, the point is you learned some things and you did it. Lots of posers out there that say they do and don't. Good job.
91 Cabriolet, red w/white
86 Cabriolet white/white (oldest daughter)
97 Golf, black (youngest daughter)
98 Beetle, red
94 Cabrio, dark green (oldest son)
Cogito Ergo Zoom
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Someone mentioned using a product called rislone, but I was also thinking about throwing some MMO in the oil.

I also thought it might be valve + piston make noise, but I don't think so. Stock cam and nothing over 2k. It's still possible, but I'll make the corrections tonight when I get home just to be sure.

I really reccomend that if you take on an engine/tranny swap, get an extra set of hands. it kinda sucks because there are a lot of things that only one person can do at a time, but there are more then a few times that having an extra set of eye's and hands is needed. Over all, it's a good learning experience and should provide the wife with some happy motoring very soon.

As for the speedo cable, I might try warming it up a bit. The cable-gear naver made it to the tranny gear so thats not whats holding it in, however, maybe some heat/cool down type action could help me pop that little PITA outta there. I've tried brute strength, hammer & screwdrivers, the yank on it methode and prollie a few other things I can't remember. So what the hell, once the car is runnign right, I'll drive it around adn then see if I can pull it outta there. Sucks though, cause now all the fule injection crap is all up in the way, heh.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

yeah, extra hands are always nice... took me 20 hours solo to do my swap... short block 1.9, clutch swap, tranny swap, the works... PITA... made for a VERY long, sore weekend. had to give up on saturday night because i was getting pretty scary.

and, for the record, i'm a big fan of MMO
85 Cab - 1.9L 8v, g-grind, euro dual downs to TT race w/ Borla, VWMS fuel dizzy, 2H tranny with 5th gear swap, TT short shift, FK 60/40, 15" BBS RA, rear disks... begging for boost...
kuklaki
Admin Type Person

Post by kuklaki »

Just to clear my name, I did offer to help whenever possible, there just was not a whole lot that I could do :oops: So I did the best I could to fetch drinks, food, stay out of the way, hand out tools and clean parts.
I am really proud of Calimus for accomplishing this, since he has never done this before. I'm sure for him it was a learning experience he would have rather not had. :banghead:
2nd 89 Cabriolet 8v (Crabby Cabby)
01 Jetta GLX (bun warmer)
87 Scirocco 16v (TWINS!)
71 Karmann Ghia (air sucker)
03 New Beetle turbo S (black widow)
01 Suzuki SV650 (go nekkid)
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

congrats on getting your cabby started!!!!!!! i bet it was good to hear her run again. it won't be long now and you'll be out driving it!!! :thumbup:
If you can't beat them, drop the top and pimp by 'em!

85 Mercedes 500SEL grey market euro
Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Ok, I told you I would have pics and I ment it. Forgot to stop and get new batteries, but I managed to squeeze off a few more pics out of the dead ones tonight. So here are a few shots from the swap and a few of the basic finished product.

Who needs and engine when you have Kuklaki Power
Old Engine
Slightly newer engine
The difference a little wetsanding can make
My wetsanding machine - Mr. William Flowers, good friend and fellow dubber
Paint booth
Fresh Valve cover
Happy Shining Parts
Starting to look like an engine?
Ooohhhh, purdy parts on the engine
The wetsander back at work
Last shot before it meets it's new home
Yes, it's in the car, finally!!!
Almost at 100%
Look at the pretty timing belt cover.

All in all I'm happy with how things look. Still have a bit more to do and will prollie wait till the weekend while my hands heal up a bit.

However, I couldn't have done it without my wife, she kept me fed and watered and as you can see, she even got a bit dirty. Thanks Hun! :mrgreen:
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
PDX Cabby

Post by PDX Cabby »

nice work
looks good
props to your wetsander
could have used him... i've been spraying a set of Rabbit Hutch sway bars for the last few hours... (clean, prime, prime, prime, base, base base base, clear, clear clear, clear... and maybe another clear... betcha didn't know a single can of paint will only coat 2 sway bars :mrgreen: )
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

wow that looks good!!! :thumbup: i love the shot of the motor in the bay...clean.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

IT FOOKIN RUNS!!!!

Did a bit more work today and now she's pretty much purring like a kitten. Figured out my timing issue and that calmed things down a bunch. Now all I have to do is fix a coolent leak, attach the grill spoiler and she will start a weeks worth of short range test drives to see how things are goin to go. If she does good for the next week, then the wife gets her for daily driver duty.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
1lowcab
DropTop Pimp

Post by 1lowcab »

sweet!!! get some pics of that grill spoiler when it's on.

Bunch of GM crap
In need of a VW lol
Calimus
Grand High PooBah

Post by Calimus »

Solved the coolent leaks today and let the wife take her for a short spin. So I will have to take a better shot of the car with the grill spoiler on, but here, have some video instead.

http://www.toplessrabbit.com/pics/cabbybuild/itruns.mov

It's not great and I know it's small, but I'm doing this with my digi-cam and I really haven't tried using it for this kind of thing before.
16' Challenger ScatPack
05' Yamaha FJR1300
02' Honda VTX 1800C
SoCal_Cabby
Postus-Whorus-Maximus
What year is your cabby?: 0

Post by SoCal_Cabby »

Calimus wrote:Ok, well she runs, but real crappy right now. I'm pretty sure that I'm 2-3 teeth off on the cam, will double check sometime this week when my body doesn't complain about every movement I make.

I did take some pics of the early progress but couldn'[t do much more cause the batteries in the digi-cam finally crapped out. I'm going to pick some more up today and take some finished product pics though and I'll post it all up tonight.
2-3 teeth it won't run at all

1 tooth it will run but run like poop