Tachometer hookup

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

Thicketmatt
What year is your cabby?: 1993
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Tachometer hookup

Post by Thicketmatt »

I would like to set my timing on my 93 cabby. I don't have anyone to watch the tach inside the car, so I was hoping to use an old tach/dwell meter I have while I'm under the hood. Unfortunately it's been so long I don't remember how to hook it up. Seem to recall the red went to the coil and the black lead to a ground but not sure. Also which terminal on the coil do I use? All of my terminals already have wire connectors on them too. Can I pull one off to connect the tach? Sorry to be dim but any "tach for dummies" instruction appreciated.
Thanks, Matt
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: Tachometer hookup

Post by Briano1234 »

The red/black wire on the coil.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
Thicketmatt

Post by Thicketmatt »

Thanks. There are two wires already connected and there isn't a free terminal for me to connect to. Any suggestions on how I can connect the lead from the tach?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Thicketmatt wrote:Thanks. There are two wires already connected and there isn't a free terminal for me to connect to. Any suggestions on how I can connect the lead from the tach?
Alligator clips and a jumper wire.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
Thicketmatt

Post by Thicketmatt »

My terminal is completely covered by a white two wire connector. I don't see how I can connect with alligator clips unless I remove the connector. I've (hopefully) attached a picture below of what I'm talking about. Any suggestions?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375667230.946533.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375667230.946533.jpg (19.42 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

Ah, you can use a pair of Mini-hook clips:

But if you look at the back side of the connector where the wire is, you will see a small catch. Now you pick the catch and then push the connector out the back with a paper clip in the slot.

You can then solder a jumper wire on to that and re-insert it back in to the connector.

You can use a wire stripper, and cut the insulation to expose bare wire so you can solder a jumper on it.
Then wrap with electrical tape on the connection.

Harborfreight sells a multimeter that has an inductive pickup so no thing more than like a timing light.
http://www.harborfreight.com/lcd-automo ... 95670.html
Briano