New Radio Install

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

GreenCabbie
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

New Radio Install

Post by GreenCabbie »

8) I have a new radio to install in my 1992 Cab and been having trouble with the circuit that is activated when I put the key in the ignition. I had to replace the no. 3 fuse to the radio once but now I can't get 12 v from the circuit in the radio compartment. The no.3 fuse is ok now. Any help would be appreciated.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Re: New Radio Install

Post by Briano1234 »

You usually need 12V switched, which I usually get off the Defroster black/yellow, and 12V unswitched which I wouldn't take off the ciggie lighter (f3)
I usually take it from the power.

I would bet you have more than one fuse gone.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
kamzcab86
Queen and Popette of Cabbydom
What year is your cabby?: 1986

Post by kamzcab86 »

GreenCabbie wrote:8) I have a new radio to install in my 1992 Cab and been having trouble with the circuit that is activated when I put the key in the ignition. I had to replace the no. 3 fuse to the radio once but now I can't get 12 v from the circuit in the radio compartment. The no.3 fuse is ok now. Any help would be appreciated.
Do you get power to other accessories when you turn the key? If not, check fuse 17.

Be sure you tapped into the correct circuit off the ignition switch, which would be the chime/buzzer circuit. Be sure you are using the correct radio wire as well: ACC wire, which is usually red (which is odd to me) is the one you want. The 12v power wire (usually, and oddly, yellow) goes to the car's 12v supply wire (check your wire diagrams).
GreenCabbie

Post by GreenCabbie »

Thanks guys I will check it out. As the previous radio did engage when I put the key in the ignition and currently when I turn the key further the dash indicator lights come on and the engine starts. But no power to the radio circuit. I will check out f17. And hopefully get on with this. Thanks again for the help.
GreenCabbie

Post by GreenCabbie »

Hi Guys,

I tried the fuses but all were good. What I found was trouble with the ignition switch. When I pushed the key in further the chimes and radio would work. The trouble is when I remove the pressure from pushing the key in the radio it goes off as does the chime. Funny thing about this is before I started working on the radio , the ignition switch worked fine. So my question now is how do you get to and test the ignition switch and are they hard to find if I need another one. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

:?
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

First thing I would do is try another key... seriously.

Switches go bad, and keys wear out, that is they aren't as sharp and get worn down.
The Ignition switch has a pressure sensor in it that detects when the key is inserted....
So, it should of worked when you turned the key to run,,...You can try spraying some -tri-flow, but it is very difficult for it to creep from the tumblers to the switch itself.

As it is a real pain in the arse to change the ignition switch on a 92, try a new key...first.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
GreenCabbie

Post by GreenCabbie »

Ok I tried a new key and some tri flow but the ignition switch didn't friken work. It still works when I push in the key but when I release the pressure it goes off. So it must be the ignition switch. The pressure sensor you talk of must be the problem. So how do I go about changing the ignition switch for a 1992 Cabriolet? I suspect I will have to find one in a auto salvage yard.
Thanks
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

The ignition switch is about 12 bucks at napa or pepboys.
Disconnect the battery.
Loosen and lower the Kneebar. 4 nuts and 4 bolts on each "a" pillar.
Remove the air bag, 2 20 0r 25mm torx
disconnect the airbag.
Mark your shaft in relation to the steering wheel or center it.
Loosen the steering wheel 24mm nut to about 2 threads, then pull on the wheel once the wheel breaks loose remove the nut and wheel.
On the bottom of the steering shaft cover are 2 phillips screws that have to be removed.
Remove the 3 screws that hold the clockspring and take that off the shaft. leave it connected
Remove the Covers upper and lower.
Remove the screws that hold the turn and wiper stalks on (remove the connectors first).
Place a pry bar on the steering shaft u-joint at the bottom and apply pressure to hold the shaft in place.
Remove the "c" clip, Collar and spring. remember how they go on.
Disconnect the connector on the ignition switch
Remove the 5 or 6mm allen that holds the steering shaft upper bearing and lock assembly in slighly pry it apart a wee bit.
Remove the steering shaft bearing and ignition lock from the shaft.
Flip it over and you will see the one little phillips that has to be remove to remove the ignition switch.

When going back......
replace the lock.
Pull on the shaft and make sure that it is all the way out. Then insert your pry under the u-joint and pry up
Replace the spring collar and clip, If the shaft drops out of place it will cause the clip not to have clearance to seat.
replace the turns connect the connectors
wind the clock spring left or right to the stop.
wind in the opposite direction and count the turns.
wind the spring to the middle of the count, now replace it on the shaft
replace the steering wheel and align it to the marks.
Turn your wheel and turn signals and make sure they cancel. If not you have to redo the clock spring.
replace the washer and nut and tighten to a good umph.
Replace the airbag connector and airbag.
Replace the covers
Restore the kneebar.
be sure that your wheel doesn't pull in or out, if it does then the lower bearing slipped out at the bottom of the shaft, Push ut back in place and use a wire tie to hold it there.
Reconnect the battery.

right knee bar
left knee bar

Upper steering wheel bearing assembly out and shows you the one little phillips that you have to remove.

Kneebar covers the screw holes
Briano

ninaathorn
What year is your cabby?: 1998

Post by ninaathorn »

Have you fixed this already?