More questions 81 cabby 1.7 gas 5mt

Have you done so much to the car today that it just doesn't fit into one section, or are you too damn lazy to split it all up? Either way, this is the section for you.

Moderators: kamzcab86, CalAltaDubber

roadtech
What year is your cabby?: 1981
Do you own a Cabriolet?: Yes

Re: More questions 81 cabby 1.7 gas 5mt

Post by roadtech »

I am in cumming and work out of Norcross (peachtree Ind and Metlock bridge). The pull a parts are great but Rabbits are rare and the Lithonia is a haul but a great place to pull parts. I work for Genuine Parts (support Napa pos systems). We don't have much on the cars, but some sites on the web carry stuff. I just placed an order for most of the hoses.
CalAltaDubber
Frozen Guy in the Northern Country
What year is your cabby?: 1987

Post by CalAltaDubber »

roadtech wrote: Now I would like to track down the audiable warning and fix it. Not sure what color the low pressure switch wire should be.
Like I mentioned above, the wire you are looking for is yellow. At least according to the wiring diagrams I have been looking at.

It wouldn't supprise me that the car has a history of shade tree mechanical issues. Heck it is 32 years old.

As for engine parts, I don't think they are that hard to find. I did a full rebuild on one of mine two years ago and everything was readily available.

If you are looking at a direct drop in, pretty well any 1.8l VW engine will just drop in.
Phil

'87 Cabriolet, "Topless Bunny"
'88 Cabriolet, "Posh Bunny"
'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI
'69 Manx type Dune Buggy (New Toy)

Image Image
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Phil Was the 1.8l used in most of the body styles (golf,sirroco, gti,rabbit, jetta) and to what year can they be found (80's, 90's ???). Thank you again
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

1.8l engines were used in all the MK Is (Rabbit, Jetta Sirocco, Cabriolet) and MK IIs (Golf and Jetta). They were produced until the mid 1990s. The big difference between them is the fuel injection system. Most comon is the Continous Injection System (CIS) which was used on all Cabriolets until 1989. MK II cars may also have CIS-e systems. Later cars (including Cabriolets built after 1989) with these engines were equipped with Digifant fuel injection systems.

The CIS system in your car is very simple in its operation, and quite frankly, I have never had a problem with CIS in either of my two cabbys.

There are other engines that can be installed. I guess it all depends on your resources.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

I figure with a different power plant (1.8l) I might be able to find more opportunities with the newer engine style, just nervous about wiring and engine mount location. I am not interested making more power just driving for a few years.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?
What year is your cabby?: 1992
Do you own a Cabriolet?: No

Post by Briano1234 »

the 1.8 and the 1.7 mount the same.
Electrical wise there are differences.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make him Click.... :screwy:
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Briano If you were looking for a 1.8l in your area what would be some of the places you would check?
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Briano1234 wrote:the 1.8 and the 1.7 mount the same.
Electrical wise there are differences.
Of course, there were changes every year or two. but nothing that can't be overcome.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

well the oil pressure switch (replace) fixed the alarm. Now I need focus on the fan motor. The motor good, the temp switch good, harness butchered ( see pictures). I will try to ring out and repair may be fuse issues as well.
Attachments
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Wow, butchered is right.
Do you have a wiring diagram?
It will make all the difference when you ring out the wiring.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

roadtech wrote:well the oil pressure switch (replace) fixed the alarm. Now I need focus on the fan motor. The motor good, the temp switch good, harness butchered ( see pictures). I will try to ring out and repair may be fuse issues as well.
The 81 was simple design.
One radiator switch.
One motor.
Now as simple as they are, you can take a inline fuse holder and a 15 amp fuse, and run it straight
from the Battery to the radiator switch.
The other side of the radiator switch goes to one side of the fan motor.
The other side of the fan motor is tied directly to ground.
This eliminates your hacked wiring at the fuse box.

Make sure that you have a good ground on the motor. The motor is isolated and requires a ground.

Remove the radiator switch (yes fluid is going to go everywhere.).
measure it for infinite ohms resistance when gold.
It will have 0 ohms when hot, placing it in boiling water for a couple of minutes will make it switch.

If it don't, then it is bad.

Some rabbits had a 2 speed fan, and a 2 speed radiator switch, you can tell by 3 wires to the fan but as yours has 2.... it is a single speed.
The 2 speed fan was used for a/c equipped cars.
Briano

Yes as matter of fact, I have the Luck o'the Irish...everything I touch turns to fertilizer of the bovine variety.
roadtech

Post by roadtech »

Phil I have been using the visio drawing I found on one of the forums. I really like Briano idea because I always get a back ache when I try to mess with the fuse panel. I always get nervous when I see black tape and wire crimps, this harness has a number of areas of just bare wire with tape and bare wire twists with tape. Yesterday was a good day until the engine got hot I was working on the idle, there was a screw on the firewall side of the intake manifold at the throttle body that I was able to screw in a little and get my idle around 1000 to 1100, I then started on the small allen in the fuel management system. Once I get the fan and cooling working properly I will go after the idle and engine tune. I am anxious to start driving and discover those issues. You guys have been a big help. Should I start new threads or keep working this one. By the way my name is Sandy (Mr.).
Briano I think it would be nice to meet some time, Are there VW (water cooled) outings around here? My manager belongs to a VW air cooled club in the area.
Briano1234
Whats that smell?

Post by Briano1234 »

I am in cumming and work out of Norcross (peachtree Ind and Medlock bridge). The pull a parts are great but Rabbits are rare and the Lithonia is a haul but a great place to pull parts. I work for Genuine Parts (support Napa pos systems). We don't have much on the cars, but some sites on the web carry stuff. I just placed an order for most of the hoses.
What do you mean, I get a ton of stuff From Napa, and my Local Duluth Napa will order about anything in the catalog, if I don't have a need for it RTFN Alan and Neff do me good.
I know where the Dist center is, as I have been going there since 1986.... I know Bill there as he usually drives the caddy or jetta diesel.

:)

I spend a lot of time in the Pull-a-part in Norcross, shoot I even have a frequent buyer card there......
Baker Imports on Buford Highway in Duluth and Autobahn Performance Parts Doraville off Buford Highway in a blue building on the left side as you go south of Jimmy Carter can both order direct from WORLD PAK, and get it in about 2 hours.

I live in Duluth, and work at Windward & 400 in Alpharetta.
Briano

roadtech

Post by roadtech »

I live in Duluth, and work at Windward & 400 in Alpharetta.
My girlfriend works for Ryder on windward. I work in the 2 story next to the DC and Main counter. There is a Bill asist Manger that work at the DC (good friend) He drives a rather rough looking Golf mid 80's model, Silver and dirty color.
CalAltaDubber

Post by CalAltaDubber »

Glad to be able to help you Sandy.

This thread has been great so far. If you wish to keep posting here, no problem. As you probably have guessed, Brian and I are on here just about daily.

In any event, it's great to have you online. Thanks for joining TRF.
Phil

'04 Golf
'12 Golf Wagon TDI

Image Image